washing raw meat?

Thanks, I read them the first time around but was more interested in the type of vessel you use for containing the meat while rinsing. I should have made that more clear.

Aluminum pans?

Nothing says you can't wash the meat at home first. But of course, unless the comp is near your backyard you might want to wash it again when you get there. Possibly defeating the purpose of washing the first time.

I keep a spray bottle with one cup apple cider vinegar and 3 cups water.
I spray all my meat down well and then rinse with cold water and dry with paper towels prior to prepping.

If you try it once you will most likely make it a habit.

Eliminates any odor and kills any surface bacteria.
Eliminates the slime from the meat and makes it much easier to handle.

Excellent tip, Jimmy.
Also useful as a hair clarifier to remove nasty build-up, though I wouldn't necessarily recommend do both simultaneously.

I just glove up, splash some cheap white vinegar on the meat & kinda work it into the folds and crevices, then rinse with clear water. You don't need much of either vinegar or water, so a bus tub works @ a comp. Just rinse the tub out & use it for your wash tub.

I've always just rinsed and pat dry with paper towels. However, I am going to start using the vinegar wash. Great tip, makes alot of sense.

I have read that 1 part vinegar to 3 parts water is a really good fruit and veggie wash, so a meat wash makes sense. One of my cookbooks mentions the same thing for chicken. Another one calls for a lemon water rinse for chicken, I have tried that with big batches of legs and thighs. I just use my brining bucket.

i saw this article about NOT washing turkey prior to cooking. makes sense to me, what do you think? click here

and do you guys wash everything at home to include steaks, or is it just butts, chicken, ribs, and brisket? i always only rinse poultry, but i've rinsed ribs and loins before

i like the spray bottle of water & vinegar idea

I have read that 1 part vinegar to 3 parts water is a really good fruit and veggie wash, so a meat wash makes sense. One of my cookbooks mentions the same thing for chicken. Another one calls for a lemon water rinse for chicken, I have tried that with big batches of legs and thighs. I just use my brining bucket.

I've used a lemon wash for chicken.

and do you guys wash everything at home to include steaks, or is it just butts, chicken, ribs, and brisket? i always only rinse poultry, but i've rinsed ribs and loins before

For me, washing (rinsing would be a more accurate word) is limited to Poultry and cryo'd meats.

Like many folks here, I rinse the juices off the meat, especially chicken and pork. If I'm trimming meat for a contest before hand, I don't like the idea of the juices sitting on the meat getting old and nasty.

Back