• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Comps

jpw23

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
If a guy wanted to get into the competition thing( not that I am anywhere close) how would you go about that....is there a process of some kind, or do you just enter the local stuff and see what happens?

jpw23 said:
If a guy wanted to get into the competition thing( not that I am anywhere close) how would you go about that....is there a process of some kind, or do you just enter the local stuff and see what happens?

No magic here.
In no particular order:

"Hang" with a team--labor, dish washing, basic pit bitch stuff.
Read the Internet a lot, but do not believe everything (or little) of what you hear.
Go to events as a spectator and try to visit with those teams that are open to visiting (many),
Go to Judging school and become certified by KCBS or one of the fine regional bodies. Then--go Judge !
Enter any local backyard grilling or smoking contests you can find.

Practice, Practice, Practice at home. Preferably building to full comp entries, time frame, and with equipment identified and used.

If all that is not available--pick a comp, enter, and see what happens.
Heck, some folks picked the American Royal Open as their first event and are doing just fine.
Never can tell.

JUST DO IT!!!!!! :lol:

TIM

Dustaway said:
just jump right in the water just fine :biggrin:

I agree with Dustaway jump in with both feet and just swim. That's what we did and have never looked back. you will be surprised how many people will help when they find out your new to comps. Good luck and if you need anything let me know.

Jump in, but have your routine and times down. Smokin Guns website has an excellent checklist.

Thanks for all the info guys......might try some of this next year!!!

I believe I have provided my contest checklist and timelines in other threads... might do a search on that.... or just PM me and I am happy to send them along.

I would jump right in. It's great if you have the time to go watch a few, or even judge.... but not requirements. Jump in, and don't be afraid to ask questions. Most teams are more than happy to help. Also, check out the posts on our comp. boxes. Good to practice that, too, as getting the boxes ready can eat up time on a busy Sat. morning.

I agree with everyone else. Just jump in, the waters fine. We went to Racine as spectators and found out about the comp in Libertyville and entered that one. We didn't do very well, but we learned a whole lot. For us this was perfect because we could try one at the end of the year and use the winter to work on the things we needed to. We will be back next year. Plus, it is such a good time you can''t believe.

g

Back