Orange Marmalade?

Norcoredneck

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Years ago I was out in the desert ATV riding on Thanksgiving. I was camping next to a large caravan of motorhomes. I ran into town for more beer and bought a large box of icecreams and shared them with their kids (with their premission). They invited my brother and me over for Thanksgiving dinner. Since all we had was lunchmeat we jumped at the chance. They asked us if we would help dig a hole so we did. They started a fire and built up coals. They shoved a piece of pipe in the ground at a 45degree tilt. Then they put a 55 gallon drum over the coals.
They had 3 turkeys coated with Orange Marmalade and wrapped in cheese cloth into the drum. The lid had holes poked in it that let smoke out. They would rotate the birds every so often. Anyhow the birds were fantastic.

Long story, good memory.
Has anyone used something like this?

I've seen the set up called Trash Can Turkey or Hobo Turkey. I take some exception about using galvanized material for cooking, like this guy does, but click here for a site that explains this method.

My sporting goods store carries a propane cooker with a big aluminum dome that sits on top for baking an upright turkey.

Orange marmalade mixed Creole mustard makes a great sauce. Goes especially well with smoked sausage. I can see it going well with turkey also.

Back