• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Charcoal at a comp when it raining

sdbbq1234

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I have gone to a few comps this year and it has been really humid or raining. Our charcoal gets damp. It seems like it is really hard to get going, and stay burning at a decent temp or rate. Does anybody else have problems with their charcoal (lump or briquettes) when it is damp?

If so, is there anything I can do to help dry it out, or something along that line?

Or, is it just me and that I can't get a good fire going... :oops:

Thanks.

wallace

Keep it in sealed storage tubs. Charcoal is used to absorb moisture, those little white packs you put in your gun safe to help keep moisture out is charcoal.

^^^^^I have two in our backyard for lump and one for briquettes. When it rains, the charcoal remains dry and ready fro use.

A trash can with lid would work also. That's where I keep mine outside. It also keeps the trash can from blowing away.

I have an action packer I keep my wood in now. Rugged and pretty waterproof. Last year, charcoal stayed in my truck until I needed it.

I have one of these storage boxes on my camper as a tongue box. Even at highway speed in driving rain, not a drop gets inside.

http://www.containerstore.com/shop/...01&green=81405D0C-70F4-54F3-912F-BABD020CCA7C

It would easily hold 30-40 pounds of briquettes.

CD

Nice! I like this! I also have a problem keeping fuel dry at home as I do not really have any outdoor storage that is dry enough to keep it dry.

This looks like it might work. Maybe 2 of them.

wallace

Nice! I like this! I also have a problem keeping fuel dry at home as I do not really have any outdoor storage that is dry enough to keep it dry.

This looks like it might work. Maybe 2 of them.

wallace

If I remember to do it tonight, I'll see how many bags of Kingsford I can fit in mine in the bag. I am pretty sure I could get two 20s in there, if I dumped the charcoal out of the bag, into the container. I don't believe they would make it still in the bag.

Here is mine, mounted to my camper tongue. Oh yes, it can be locked up with padlocks, should that be necessary.

picture.php

CD

Okay, I actually remembered to do this. Here is a two-pack of 20-pound Kingsford blue bag, in my waterproof container. I honestly did not think it would fit, but it fit with room to spare.

picture.php

CD

You can use the oversized zip lock bags or the storage bags that have the valve for using a vac to remove all the air.

Here is mine, mounted to my camper tongue. Oh yes, it can be locked up with padlocks, should that be necessary.

CD

I've been wanting to add a storage bin onto our trailer tongue. How did you secure it to the tongue, CD?

Okay, I actually remembered to do this. Here is a two-pack of 20-pound Kingsford blue bag, in my waterproof container. I honestly did not think it would fit, but it fit with room to spare.

picture.php

CD

CD, thanks very much for the pics and info. I am really, really liking this!

wallace

Back