• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Vacuum Packed Brisket Filling with Air

kingstar

Got Wood.
Reaction score
I've had a vacuum packed brisket that I bought about 4 weeks ago in my fridge. I just noticed today that it is getting quite a bit of air in it. Almost as if it had sprung a leak. I've tried rotating it around all over and none of the blood leaks out anywhere, so I think it is actually still sealed. I don't see any signs of discoloration. I'm going to let my nose be my guide when I open it this weekend. Anyone else have any experience with this?

Yep. As it ages it releases gas. When was the pack date? If there is a lot of air it may be bad but like you said, go by your nose.

That sounds bad to me. I'm thinking your nose is not going to like it... :(

Don't know the pack date. The sell by date is 9/5. I'll be opening it outside in case it's bad. I will be very unhappy as this is the first whole brisket I have found in my area. I wanted to cook it before now, but life got in the way.

Just keep in mind that cryovaced meats, in many cases, will initially have an "off" smell when you first open them, sometimes it can be pretty strong, so make sure and give it a good rinsing before you toss it. If it still smells real bad after a good rinse then it's likely history.

KC

When are you planning on cooking it? With a sell by date that long ago, it probably should have been frozen.

Your like 15 days past the sell by date. I wouldn't even open it, just trash it.

^^^^^^ I agree

Two weeks past the sell-by date, I wouldn't take the chance. A day or two I'd take the time to check it, but not two weeks.

I would have put it in the freezer if I were not going to use it that first week even though it was in the safe date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONESY
Your like 15 days past the sell by date. I wouldn't even open it, just trash it.
+1

my mom and dad used to buy meat in bulk (a whole sheep, a whole pig, a beef hindquarter several chickens etc ....

the butcher used to cut the meat, and pack in plastic bags .... those were the days before vacuum pack machines were freely available

the meat used to be packed in a chest freezer, and the meat was still good 6 months later

my mom and dad used to buy meat in bulk (a whole sheep, a whole pig, a beef hindquarter several chickens etc ....

the butcher used to cut the meat, and pack in plastic bags .... those were the days before vacuum pack machines were freely available

the meat used to be packed in a chest freezer, and the meat was still good 6 months later

The Key words here are "packed in a chest freezer"

From experience( I do commercial refrigeration) when a fridge gets above temp for extended amount of time usually the packaging will start to swell. And considering a lot of meat packers now inject the meats to prolong shelf life it can really smell bad. This is why I use a family owned market that cuts to order for me to buy all my meats they have whole cows in the walk ins!

I don't know how all stores set their sell dates, but I normally wet-aged brisket bought from Hy-Vee in KC about 3 weeks past the sell by date. At that point, I either cooked or froze the brisket. Never had a bad one as long as the cryovac was intact. Those briskets were stored at 34-36 degrees in a modified chest freezer.

Just because the meat is past the sell by date doesn't mean it is bad. If it was cryovac'd you can wet age it for a couple weeks past it. The big things to keep an eye out is the packed date, and making sure it is kept nice and cold 32-36 degrees.

I would be a little concerned with the bag puffing up. That means that gasses are being released. The gasses could be from the meat just aging (although the 2 that I have wet aged, the cryovac didn't puff up any) or it could be bacteria such as botulissum causing the gas release. I would open up the pack and give it a good rinse. If it smells bad after that, toss it.

Unless you know the store's policy on setting the sell by date, it means nothing. It could be two weeks after they receive it, which could be weeks after the pack date, or it could be based on the pack date. Without knowing that, and how far from their reference date they set the sell by date it tells you nothing.

If the cryo is just loose, is may have a pin hole in it. It it is tight in spots and has bubbles, that's normal as the meat ages. But, if it is inflating, get rid it it! :-D

Unless you know the store's policy on setting the sell by date, it means nothing. It could be two weeks after they receive it, which could be weeks after the pack date, or it could be based on the pack date. Without knowing that, and how far from their reference date they set the sell by date it tells you nothing.

If the cryo is just loose, is may have a pin hole in it. It it is tight in spots and has bubbles, that's normal as the meat ages. But, if it is inflating, get rid it it! :-D
Agree!! we have taken Briskets 45 days past the pack date and they were awesome, normally once we start seeing the bubbles inside the pack start to expand we will put them in the freezer or cook.

Agree!! we have taken Briskets 45 days past the pack date and they were awesome, normally once we start seeing the bubbles inside the pack start to expand we will put them in the freezer or cook.

Yep... I prefer not to freeze, but decent sized briskets have been hard to find around here this year so I have been hoarding them :-D The two that I have for this week's competition were aged 50 days and then frozen.

Thanks everyone for the replies. It was cryovaced, so going past the sell by date wasn't too concerning as lots of people here do that regularly as part of wet aging. I plan to cook it this weekend so I will see how it looks and smells when I open it.

Another question. Since this brisket will be cooked probably to over 200°, wouldn't that kill off anything that would cause illness? The meat would probably taste bad, but shouldn't all the nasties be dead?

Back