View Single Post
Old 09-13-2013, 10:26 AM   #52
Deep South
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbill View Post
Good choice, it's a very efficient design. Are you going with an insulated firebox or anything? I would recommend the 1/2' box at least for more thermal mass and heat retention. I upgraded mine to 1/2", had my cabinet widened from 24 to 30 inches and I also added the warmer/oven which I highly recommend. The oven was $550 extra but the things that you can do with it are limited only by your own imagination. I can smoke at 250 in the main chamber and bake cornbread or simmer beans in the oven at 350 to 400 at the same time! Heck, I cooked a pizza in it a couple of weeks ago! LOL! In the future I'll probably have Chris build me a trailer pit for comps and I'll definitely have him put the oven on there as well! If you haven't seen the video on the LSG site for the warmer/oven here it is. lone star grillz warmer box 2 - YouTube
I was considering the 30" until I cooked on the 24".
This thing is huge.

I will probably go insulated firebox. I got a good feel for temp. loss due to weather when a PM thunderstorm dropped my Brisket cook by 100 degrees. My friend mounted it on a 5x8 trailer and in the end said he should have just let Chris fabricate the whole thing.