Weber Q Owners - Grill Time Fast

humdogj

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Good morning. I have a Weber Q300 and was just wondering if any other Q owners notice that their grill cooks things up super fast. I've noticed that when cooking from a recipe and their recommended times, things get done way before the suggested grill times. When I say way before, I'm talking minutes and that can mean the difference between something juicy and something overcooked.

I did pork chops yesterday and they were on for 10 minutes and they were overcooked. Still tasty, but a little dry. The grill time suggested was 10 to 15 minutes, sear on high for 6 and then cook on low for 4 to 8. I did a sear for 2 minutes each side and then low for 3 minutes a side (total 10 minutes).

I've noticed other things seam to get done faster as well (chix breasts, steaks, etc.) I'm not complaining because it saves time, it's just the learning curve is taking longer than I thought.

I love my Q grill and think it's a solid build and will last a lifetime. I have to just learn that it's a Road Runner when it comes to cooking things.

There's a lot to be said about experience when it comes to cooking. I have heard lots of people say that their grills are too hot. The more I cook on mine, and the more I learn about cooking methods and managing heat I realize that my once too hot grill can't get hot enough now. I'll cook hamburgs, pork chops and chicken on the gasser but wouldn't dare think of a beautiful steak on it. Mine is just not hot enough to get the sear I am looking for.
Aside from all this, methods from a recipe are done in generalities. They will give you an idea of what to expect but it is up to you to translate them to your kitchen.

Yeah, I hear ya. Mine definitely gets hot enough for a good sear. I'm always worried about the outside being done and the inside not being where it needs to be. Definitely will need to keep practicing. Just frustrating sometime because you put the time and effort into something, with some love thrown in, and if it doesn't come out right, it's just disappointing. But we learn and move on. Thanks for the comment.

Does the 300 have the dome thermometer? If not (or even so) I recommend getting one of those IR temp guns. Monitor the temp of the grate.

Sound to me like your grill was simply too hot. :grin:

I love grilling Center Cut Pork Chops.
My favorite chops look like T-Bone steaks. 1" thick...

I sear on both sides then grill them on a lower heat till done.
I don't time my chops, I leave em on till they look right. (Practice)

Yeah, it has the dome thermometer, but I have yet to use my Maverick to see what the grill temp has been.

I seared on high and then finished on low. To me, chops are a little finicky and there's a small window for not over doing them. I believe they were around 3/4" thick cut, so I probably should've cut the time a little. I probably shouldn't rely so much on time, but like Ole Man Dan said, go until they look right (probably juices running clear on top?) Practice, practice, practice....

You need to turn your SJG into a mini wsm! It's still a grill when you want it to be...You're just adding the pot and racks! I use my mini more than anything, guarantee you that you can turn out the perfect chops on mini, reverse sear steaks etc...
It turns out the worlds best chicken...HANDS DOWN.

Back