anyone have a logs spliter I can use? I love CL

davefan360

Take a breath!
Reaction score
this is a nice load of Free hickory I picked up today. I also picked up a nice load of Free apple wood yesterday. ANd the guy where I got the apple wood from has 2 more apple trees that I can have if I ever want. that trailer is a 6x10 with 2ft sides

Attachments

• DSCF7039.jpg
    DSCF7039.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 256
Last edited:
Niiice. A log splitting would help a little haha, but those are massive.

That looks like shagbark hickory, and you will need a splitter, that is some hard splitting wood and I am talking much smaller rounds then you have there. I don't know the process, but you can make a sweet shagbark syrup from the bark.
Dave

Chain saw will do wonders! At least it will get them into manageable sizes.

That looks like shagbark hickory, and you will need a splitter, that is some hard splitting wood and I am talking much smaller rounds then you have there. I don't know the process, but you can make a sweet shagbark syrup from the bark.
Dave

Yeah, I got some real hickory syrup at a festival last year. That stuff was awesome.

yes I think I am going to cut them in half then split them. and my buddy's dad just told me that I can use his B.A.L.S. ( big A** LOG SLPITER) if I make him some ribs. I am going to get the other load of apple tomorrow or the next day then maybe this weekend split all the wood I need split.

For the amount you have, a couple of steel wedges and a 6 or 8 lb sledge hammer will do just fine. Really it won't take as long as you think.

Splitter we don't need no freakin splitter!! Bust out that axe!! Caveman style!!

You can rent one at Home Depot for a few dollars.
Go ahead and get another load of wood, rent the spliter and sell a load.
Nice score.
jon

Careful, what's the old saying about "eyes bigger that your stomach"? I cook w/ hickory splits in my +/-120g reverse flow. My splits are typically a 1/4 of a 8"-10" log and I'll maybe use 12-15 splits for an 6-8 hour cook. Looks to me like you are getting at least a couple years worth of wood stockpiled if you get the extra apple. That aint a bad thing if you have room to store it.

PS: can we see a shot of the "moron kettle", I'd like to see what color it is.

Nice score I am going to the family farm this week to get wood hickory is me choice and pecan

Careful, what's the old saying about "eyes bigger that your stomach"? I cook w/ hickory splits in my +/-120g reverse flow. My splits are typically a 1/4 of a 8"-10" log and I'll maybe use 12-15 splits for an 6-8 hour cook. Looks to me like you are getting at least a couple years worth of wood stockpiled if you get the extra apple. That aint a bad thing if you have room to store it.

PS: can we see a shot of the "moron kettle", I'd like to see what color it is.

thanks for the info. Can I see a photo of your RF? here is my moron kettle

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 20
Back