Neutral binder for simple Rubs Question

Titch

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Sometimes I want to rub a Meat with a very simple rub/season.
salt pepper etc,
maybe its my Australian way ,but I usually use a non taste light oil.
Could anything else be used that is taste/cook neutral.

Are you worried the rub won't stick? If the meat has ever so little moisture on it which it naturally will. I say just rub the rub into the meat it should stay put.

Hey Titch!

Mayonnaise slather is another option. Makes for a great sealer of moisture as well. Still got me thinkin' about the Aussie TD.

After I rinse the meat off there always is enough moisture present so that any rub I have ever used adheres with no problem.

Edit: I never use heavy rub though.

Last edited:
How about water? I would apply the salt first and let it sit a few minutes, it should pull a little moisture out and help the pepper stick.

or just pour some Fosters on it. That's pretty taste neutral right?

Water/natural moisture. I you need to add something to get your rub to stick your using to much rub!

Last edited:
How about water? I would apply the salt first and let it sit a few minutes, it should pull a little moisture out and help the pepper stick.

+1 to this^.

Salt lightly first, wait a few minutes, and the moisture from the meat should help any seasoning stick to it. I wouldn't add any more salt to it after that.

Best binder is no binder at all. I find that if you dry your meat well then only the amount that needs to stick to the meat sticks. The excess falls off.

Back