Where do you get your wood chunks?

Is Fruita and smokinlicious expensive compared to HD/Ace/lowe's?

Holy crap! I pay $4.49 for a 1/3 cubic foot size bag of chunks at Academy. They want 35-bucks or more for 2/3 cubic feet of the same farking chunks?

I'm in the wrong business.

CD

I have ordered form doitbest.com before. Good deal, delivered free to a local participating store of your choice. Supports local hardware stores which I am in favor of.

Having said that, HD is closest and most convenient for me. I picked up a bag each of apple and cherry, 18lbs each at $20 + tax each. Wood looked ok. Then found Western brand apple and cherry chunks 9 or 10lb bags for $8 + tax each. Will return the HD chunks now.

A year or so ago I picked up about 2 trees worth of white oak for my WFO for free from a guy who was clearing a lot to build a house. He felled the trees and cut it up into logs, I just had to drive 45 mins each way and split it... in August... in Houston (read hot and humid).

For now I will probably stick with Academy.

Nothing fancy for me. I go for best price / convenience crossroads.

- Hickory: Walmart in large bags cheap.
- Cherry, Pecan, Apple - Usually the Weber branded stuff is easiest to find, either at Ace Hardware or Orchard Supply Hardware (local chain here in CA -- not sure how extensive they are)
- I'd like to get some Oak chunks but haven't found a good source yet. I have some of the Jack Daniel's branded whiskey oak cask chips I bought for a special project but that's it.
- Mesquite is rather powerful, so I prefer to just mix in some mesquite lump with whatever fuel I'm using rather than use chunks.

Get mine from BBQ_PD and his store. Get to have some good Q talk, a beer and some times some sample of whatever was cooked that day. Least I can do is grab some chunks while I am there. :biggrin1:

161.jpg

+

rikon%20bandsaw.jpg

=

mes._wood.jpg

I buy a half cord of hickory at a time then chop up my own as needed. HD has em by the bag also. :cool:

Got some from Bass Pro shops over the holidays; free shipping.

I bought some from Amazon - Camerons Products BBQ Chunks. Terrible!!!

There were at least 8 chucks in each bag that were so old and dried out, they weighed about 1 ounce.

Western Woods seems to look ok.

I will give Fruita a try.

wallace

Home Depot.
I buy about 1 or 2 cords of wood a year for my fireplace, a lot of it is red oak. I cut some of it up into chunks.

Sent from my Android phone.

I get Apple and Peach from a local orchard when they prune / remove the trees.

When I run out or want something different I use Do It Best you order and pay and pick it up at a local participating hardware store with NO shipping charges. I get all my cherry wood from them.

They also sell Treager Hickory, Mesquite, and Apple wood pellets.

I have used them for 3 years with no problems..

Last edited:
I buy bags of logs from Academy or HEB for big cooks on the offset, either pecan, oak, hickory or mesquite depending on my mood and what I'm cooking. I cut chunks off of the smaller logs for the WSMs. I still have about half a bag of pecan chunks I got with the first WSM I bought off of Craigslist. If I run out, there's lots of oak in the firewood stacks.

Back