• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Green chile on the kettle?

R

rg02

Anyone have a recipe and process for some tasty green chile with a little heat that they could share? Having a chile cook party for fun at work and thought since I love Qing/grilling that it would be cool to do it on my kettle! Any help is greatly appreciated!

I've been wanting to try a Green Chile and Cheese Fatty for some time now. Try searching for Green Chile on the google search, at the bottom of the page.

Thanks for that link Fedex. That indeed is the real deal.

This is my favorite chile verde

Pork and Poblano Stew

Ingredients

4 to 5 poblano chile peppers (about 3/4 pound)
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 1/2 pounds pork shoulder, trimmed, cut into 1 to 2 inch pieces
Salt
1 large onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
3 to 4 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon cumin
1 chipotle chili in adobo, minced
1 Tbsp dried oregano
1 quart chicken stock (use gluten-free stock for gluten-free option)
1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen corn (no need to defrost if frozen)
1 large (about 1/2 pound) sweet potato, peeled and diced (about 1/2 to 3/4-inch cubes)
Sour cream
Cilantro
Toasted shelled pumpkin seeds (pepitas) Optional

Method

Char the chile peppers on all sides, directly over a gas flame, or broil, turning every minute or so until the chiles are blackened on all sides. Place in a bowl and cover with a clean dish towel. Let sit for 10 minutes or so, then rub off the blackened charred skin. Cut away and discard the stem, seeds, and internal veins. Roughly chop the chiles into 1 to 2 inch pieces. Set aside.

Heat the vegetable oil in a large Dutch oven on medium high heat. Pat dry the pork pieces with a paper towel and brown them, working in batches as to not crowd the pan. Sprinkle salt generously over the pork while they brown.

Remove the pork from the pan and set aside. Add the chopped onion and cumin to the pan and cook about 5 minutes, until translucent. Scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan while the onions cook. Add garlic and cook for a minute more.

Add the chopped chipotle to the onions and garlic. Return the browned pork to the pan. Add the chopped poblano chiles to the pan. Add the chicken stock and oregano. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover and let cook for 1 hour. After an hour, add the diced sweet potato and corn to the stew. Cook for another half hour to 45 minutes, until the pork is tender and the sweet potatoes are cooked through.

To serve, spoon out the stew into bowls. Swirl in a spoonful of sour cream to each bowl. Top with chopped fresh cilantro and toasted shelled pumpkin seeds.

I made "deconstructed" chile relleno's on a grill a couple of weeks ago. Here's how:

1. Get a bushel of fresh Hatch or Poblano chile's and blister them over a hot grill
  2. Place them in a plastic bag until they cool down some
  3. Slit open and rinse inside and outsider to leave behind a pepper fillet.
  4. Open them and add some shredded cheese and cooked/crumbled chorizo
  5. Place back on grill untill they carmalize on the outside.

Heres my recipie I use
Ingredients:2 lbs Pork Loin - Cubed
1 can 28 oz. Green Chili - Whole - Seed and cut into small cubes
1 tbsp. Salt
2 cloves Garlic
2 cups Water
5 Jalapenos - Seeded
1 Medium Sweet Onion - Chopped
5 tbsp. Ground Cumin
1/4 tsp. Oregano
2 cans Campbells Chicken Broth
2 tbsp. Green Tabasco Sauce
8 oz. Green Sauce Instructions:Mix together Salt, Cumin, and Oregano. Set aside.
Blend together Jalapenos and Green Sauce. Set aside.
Gray pork in frying pan. Set aside.
Combine Chicken Broth, Half the Water, Onion and Garlic in Cooking Pot. Heat until Onion is translucent. Add Blended Jalapenos, Pork and 1-1/2 Tbsp of Cumin mixture to pot. Continue cooking over medium heat. After one hour, add 1/3 can green chilis (blended), 1 Tbsp Green Tabasco Sauce and another 1-1/2 Tbsp of Cumin mixture. After 2-1/2 hours, add remaining green chilis, Green Tabasco Sauce and Cumin mixture. Salt, thicken or thin sauce to suit. Servings:

Tossed my fresh Hatch chilies on the kettle just after we got them. Turning them constantly and tossed them in the freezer after sampling a couple of course.

Back