Quick BB Rib Question

fish1sw

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
I'm smoking 3 baby back 1/2 racks for lunch with the boss today. I'm smoking on a mini-wsm which handled the 3 1/2 racks fine on one grill grate.

I'm doing about a 2-2-1 on those and will modify that if need be.

My question is now that I've foiled those ribs, they will not fit in the mini with all three setting solid on the grill grate. Can I stack/lean the three of them on end and still be okay, or will that drastically change smoking time?

Thanks for the help!

If you are smoking babybacks... 5 hours and using foil at some point along the time period is way too long.

4 hours max - unwrapped

So, I've already smoked 2 hours unwrapped. I wrapped them and now I'm 30 min into that. How should I finish them if 5 hours is too long?

These things are fairly meaty.

At 250* i go 2 hr on grate 1 hr in foil then unwrapped back on grate till done

Great, thank you so much for the help!

Lunch earlier than I thought, which is a good thing!!

It all depends on the pit temp and the size of the racks. I like to do ribs at 265-ish and for BBs I like racks that are around 2.5 lbs and I do 2 1/2 - 1 1/2 then 15 or so with sauce our of the foil to set the sauce.

It's cruising right along at 250. And I'll make sure I'll take some pics. The last couple smokes I've done, I got too excited and ate the evidence before I remembered the pron...whoops (I'm sure that's never happened to anyone else on here.)

Well....

You know how they say. "When you get good advice, take it!"

I got busy with work and left the ribs foiled for 1 1/2 hours (for a total of 3 1/2 hours). I still have to let the sauce set up a little bit, so I'm going for 20 more minutes unwrapped.

The ribs looked and smelled wonderful as I opened the foil, the problem is when I picked one of the racks up out of the foil....it broke in two.

I guess I like my ribs "fall off the bone". I have a lot to learn!

Back