Rate My First Ever Box

speers90

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Looks like I have talked myself into jumping into the world of competition bbq; that being the case, I figured I better start practicing. I would appreciate any feedback you can give me on what looks good and what could use improvement. I did already find out that I built my parsley bed to tall, better take a 1/2" off of that next time. Skin was tender, bite thru at 20, 30 and 40 minutes, I assume there is no need to test it any farther out than that?

picture.php

And here is what the box looked like prior to placing the chicken:
picture.php

Thanks for the help guys!

If that's your first turn-in box, I'm glad your not competing in our neck of the woods. That box looks great! Very appetizing.

Also, thanks for ensuring that the photo is clear. It's always a bit annoying over at www.bbqcritic.com when the photos of the turn-in boxes are so poorly lit that you can't give an accurate assessment.

I would probably give the box an 8 on appearance, if you are using KCBS ratings.

Eric

My only comment is that the chicken is a bit "long" versus square-ish. Not sure if that matters or not, but to my eye, it looks weird. Have to say, that looks kick ass though!

If that's your first turn-in box, I'm glad your not competing in our neck of the woods. That box looks great! Very appetizing.

Also, thanks for ensuring that the photo is clear. It's always a bit annoying over at www.bbqcritic.com when the photos of the turn-in boxes are so poorly lit that you can't give an accurate assessment.

I would probably give the box an 8 on appearance, if you are using KCBS ratings.

Eric

Thanks Eric,

That's not a turn in box yet, just my first practice run! There are a lot of good teachers on this forum, so I can't take much of the credit. I appreciate the help.

My only comment is that the chicken is a bit "long" versus square-ish. Not sure if that matters or not, but to my eye, it looks weird. Have to say, that looks kick ass though!

I ended up cooking about 20 thighs, 10 of which I cut somewhat squarish, but I thought they looked weird when finished. The other 10 I trimmed along the fat line on one side and tried to even up the opposite side, and these looked more normal to me, so that's what I used.

Would you say that most competition thighs end up more squarish?

Thanks for the help.

If that is your first attempt at building a box you are so far ahead of the learning curve its scary!!!!!! I would give you a solid 8. Try getting 2 more pieces in there. Judges like to see full boxes

If that is your first attempt at building a box you are so far ahead of the learning curve its scary!!!!!! I would give you a solid 8. Try getting 2 more pieces in there. Judges like to see full boxes

Thanks for the feedback, I promise it is my first attempt ever at building a box and the parsley took me at least an hour, but I think I can do it faster now!

Next time out I will get 8 in the box.

Another row or bigger thighs. I'd go with the latter. GREAT looking box!

Thanks, I kind of felt like I was trimming to much off! I guess that's what practice is for. Yes, AI, we are talking about practice!

I would pm Fatback Joe, he makes the BEST chicken i've had! And he is a Great guy. Just don't tell'm I sent you.

I would rate it as a 8. but if you "filled up the box", I would think probally a strong 8 to 9,,, I like chicken that looks like chicken. And if it tastes great, you got it covered!

Bigger thighs and square down to same size...thats my 2 cents
look good, even glaze & color bright

"9"

Color is good, nice shine, like the flecks of spice/herb under the glaze....very appetizing looking.

Don't care about the shape/size/spacing, etc. I'm judging "the meat as it is presented." I also don't care about the "putting green."

From my perspective as a judge, putting greens are way too overrated. As a cook it takes too much time and aggrevation to put something together that's not going to be part of the judging. Nice, crisp, curly, green leaf lettuce would provide just as effective a backdrop. AND as a judge I wouldn't have to "defoliate" the piece after I pulled it out of the turn in box before I tasted it.

I really wish the putting greens would go away. By the time I'm done judging a comp, I could make an entire other turn in box from the pieces of parsley I've pulled off all the turn ins.:doh:

I don't score down for them. They just annoy me.

From this judge's perspective, I'd give it an 8 for sure, maybe a 9 in person. Careful about too much 'glaze' on the chicken - too sweet doesn't make for too high in taste. I like chicken to look like chicken - this does, but could use 2 more pieces to fill up the box. Great job for a first time!!!

Back