Home dry-aging a SUCCESS!! w/ some pron!

jasonjax

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
For those of you that didn't read my original thread here it is: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123955

So tonight we cooked the steaks. WOW! I was super impressed with the 14-day dry-aged beef. It had an excellent texture and taste to it. I knew it was a winner when my wife, who is FAR from a steak connoisseur scored three for three on blind taste tests between the control steak and the dry-aged steak.

I am sooooo full right about now, and so far no one is puking. WIN! I will be trying 21-day dry-aged Costco rib eyes next. :)

The big steaks are the "control steaks" The smaller ones are the dry-aged. Rubbed them with kosher salt, fresh cracked pepper, and a little garlic powder.

6692133609_3e1c3dd8e8_z.jpg

My wife loves the griddle cooked steaks so I cooked them on the cast-iron tonight. Turned out awesome.

6692133627_4cafed23ab_z.jpg

Glazed them with a little melted butter a la Ruth's Chris style.

6692133643_4b82e25fa3_z.jpg

Time to chow down! Dry-aged was on top and one of the "control steaks" was on the bottom.

6692133659_f8246ebbf1_z.jpg

Did I mention I was full? Man that is eating right there!

Awesome stuff Jason! Those steaks ALL look good! :thumb: Dry aging is a great process to know if you can avoid them going green on you! :heh:

Cheers

Random question... By chance, do you know the name of the wood those platters are made of? Might have to wait on Marty to pass by. We have a lot of it locally here. We call it "Guango".

Ok :focus:

Random question... By chance, do you know the name of the wood those platters are made of? Might have to wait on Marty to pass by. We have a lot of it locally here. We call it "Guango".

Ok :focus:

Google monkey pod

So, did they melt in your mouth like buttah? They look really good!! :wink:

Fantastic! I am a huge fan of dry aging. I will never buy another prime cut of beef again. Stickily Choice, then dry age, and presto, Prime, and then some :thumb:.

So were the aged cuts markedly better than the control cuts?

Yes! Sorry, I should have been more clear in my post. They were definitely better than the non aged steaks. They had a fantastic texture to them and a more robust flavor. The fact that my wife could tell a difference is very telling.

I will be trying a loin strip primal next time.

Boy those look awesome!

What about dry aging a whole beef tenderloin? These can be had at RD at a pretty good deal and need to be trimmed anyway.

Back