Pulled Pork turn in box

Porky Joes

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone would provide pictures of their pulled pork turn in boxes. I am thinking of entering the Lambs Farm BBQ Contest in Libertyville, IL for both the pulled pork and ribs. This would be my first time trying pulled pork.

Thanks in advance.

Porky Joes

I believe that a search of the forum should show some results. I know that several months ago I posted some photos of mine that were winners and one was 1 appearance score away from a 180.

Although not a recent photo here you go, nothing complecated with pork.
We TRY to provide slices, chunks and pulled. I say try because we dont always get good slices.
Rule number one is dont put something in the box just to have it in the box. Only put good meat in the box.

Also do a search on the money muscle.

Last edited:
Here you go. This setup has done pretty well for us on appearance.

2011-08-27_13-02-52_281.jpg

Not trying to send you to another site, because bbq-brethren is (as are the brethren themselves) AWESOME.

However, bbqcritic.com has a lot of pictures with ratings from judges and comments of what they're thinking and not thinking. I think it may help you to see. Also, what one finds appealing another might find ghastly. Welcome to humans...

I was wondering if anyone would provide pictures of their pulled pork turn in boxes. I am thinking of entering the Lambs Farm BBQ Contest in Libertyville, IL for both the pulled pork and ribs. This would be my first time trying pulled pork.

Thanks in advance.

Porky Joes

Don't think about it too long, Stephanie sent out last call email Monday
Come and say hi to us as well! Or you'll meet us during "shot fairy" rounds

Just don't do pork and ribs. Dive in and compete chicken and brisky too. Good luck!

This is one of the contests that you can pay per category. Although, id do the same thing and cook all 4 categories ....

I'll be there to defend and see all my resident friends. It's special how excited they all get. I'll probably have to bring another batch of t-shirts to hand out to the residents.

These are two that I turned in.
One was a 20th and the other a 43rd...

Tell me what you all think? The 20th was my FIRST KCBS and the 43rd was my SECOND KCBS

DSC_3942.jpg

DSC_3884.jpg

those are interesting boxes.

where are you getting hurt? appearance, taste, or tenderness?

BTW, start a new thread...we're hijacking here.

Speaking only for myself, no. Sorry.

Just wondering, do you not have one to share, or don't want to share?

(Following not directed to any individuals)

I see this when people ask for box pics. Can a turn in arrangement be so top secret that you can't post a pic? Even if you have a signature box, I'm sure some people here could learn from any box pics past or present. Why not post a box from 2 years ago of an arrangement you don't use anymore? Some of the newer cooks may not have seen but a couple of turn ins, and just needs a starting point.

some of these pics look terrible, and some look great! my suggestion is the same as everyone else said. if it doesn't look like you want to sit down with a beer and devour your own turn in box yourself then don't send it in. in my experience though the box with the money muscle sliced in the middle and laid out with hunks on both sides does well. that is what i've been doing for the last few comps. and will normally get 5 nines and an 8. pork scores 169-174 total. good luck!

You might not want to use the two pictures above. No insult meant to KerryK, but where did you place on those two. Was it a comp with 20 and 43, respectively, teams at the comp? All kidding beside, moist looking and carefully sized and placed meat will always look more desireable. Heck, even the deserts at Golden Corral look good. That is until you bite in:-D. Go for the wow factor. You can always at least fake the taste and tenderness parts at the beginning like the desserts at Golden Corral, that is until they actually get to taste it.

At Lambs Farm this weekend, it will be first time at pulled pork in a contest, so I don't have anyboxes to show on here. Would you please explain what the money muscle is? I have not heard the term before.

Back