• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Complete Tutorial: How to Make Great Pizza at Home Using Store Bought Pizza Dough

I love the Frankenweber - been thinking about finding an old wood-burning stove to convert into an outside pizza oven because my youngest boy is a pizza fanatic, but your pics have me inspired.

Also can't wait to try the sauce recipe, thanks for sharing!

Moose,

Thanks for the post, that pizza looks amazing. I know you mentioned that you purchased your crust this time, but any chance you could give a recipe (or link) to the crust you would normally use (if your mixer wasn't broken)? I've been itching to try to make a homemade pizza lately and would love to try out some of your techniques/recipes as your results look wonderful.

Thanks!

Here's a pizza cook thread a did a while back with a dough recipe that is very good for same day dough:

www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94358

Of late I've been using the Peter Reinhart dough recipe for American style dough that is also good, but really hard to work.

I found this yesterday and am eager to try it out:

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archiv...make-great-new-york-style-pizza.html#comments

One last thing:

On occasion I make pizza in the oven, and the stone I use is a 1/2 inch thick granite round cut from countertop scrap granite. It really works great..

QUOTE=Sleepy Smoker;1592954]Moose,

Thanks for the post, that pizza looks amazing. I know you mentioned that you purchased your crust this time, but any chance you could give a recipe (or link) to the crust you would normally use (if your mixer wasn't broken)? I've been itching to try to make a homemade pizza lately and would love to try out some of your techniques/recipes as your results look wonderful.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Thank you, Moose. This thread has been bookmarked and I will definitely be referring to it at some point in the future.

do you cook the bottom first then apply the toppings or apply toppings on the dough then cook

I do not precook the dough, ever. No need to - in the FrankenWeber pizza kettle the pizzas cook in about 3-4 minutes depending on how hot I'm running the propane, and about 8 minutes in the oven when it's 550 degrees.

do you cook the bottom first then apply the toppings or apply toppings on the dough then cook

hippo_bump.jpg

I wonder how this would work on a Char Broil infrared cooker? I have a 2 burner and it will get up to 600- 650 deg.

I was referring to pizza,,,,,,

Hard to say...you'll certainly want a high quality pizza stone to start. It sounds like you can get that grill very hot, so that's a good thing. My only concern would be that the bottom might cook faster than the top of the pie. In that case, you could look into something like THIS.

San Marzano tomatoes? I have a huge can of that! Thanks Moose, I'm going to make this!

Back