Just getting Started???

You really cant beat a weber kettle and they last forever. Great for starting out, best bang for the buck hands down

There is one cooker every man must have: A Weber kettle.

After that get a WSM. You will never have to buy another cooker, but you will, because you'll want to.

I have 13 outdoor cooking devices, and am always looking for more.

Looks like you will be getting a Weber Kettle. I can only add, get the 22.5" one, silver is good, Gold has some advantages, ash control is the biggest one. The 18.5" is a little less money but the larger one will work out better for you for versatility.

^^^I 100% agree with Terry about getting the 22.5" kettle.

Im a beginner as well and I built a UDS...and it is simply amazing and cheap to build!! My vote...UDS:clap2:

If you decide to get a Weber Kettle you may want to check craigslist. You can get new grates for them from Homedepot and Lowes. Also other parts are available online.

Hey All,

Well that is an ovewhelming response for the Kettle:p. Suppose I shall be on the prowl shortly for one. OK...now for some more beginner dumb questions. What does one use with this? Charcoal and/or wood? Again, sorry for my lack of knowledge. I also have to thank you all for the responses. From the discussions I see here, I was worried no one would care about helping a newbie. Again, thanks for the advice.

OK..last question for now. Some advice on the recomendation of a UDS. Ready. What the heck is it? Can't try and build one until I know what to make:confused:!

Thanks what a great forum you have here.

Well this certainly has turned into an obsession for me! Doing some research with the advice here. Love the Kettle as a starting point. But the UDS looks like it would be a fun project also. Then the WSM looks awesome as well.

UDS vs WSM?? Are they not the same thing except one is your own creation and the other made by Weber? Plus the difference in cost.

Well this certainly has turned into an obsession for me! Doing some research with the advice here. Love the Kettle as a starting point. But the UDS looks like it would be a fun project also. Then the WSM looks awesome as well.

UDS vs WSM?? Are they not the same thing except one is your own creation and the other made by Weber? Plus the difference in cost.

Ain't gonna touch that one!:becky:
But you'll get plenty of responses I'm sure.:thumb:
Truth be told though, I have neither but I would love to build a UDS myself. Norcoredneck has a thread about making one without welding too. Then again I'd love to have a WSM too.
And an offset, and, oh...guess I'm obsessed as well!

I'm another vote for the Weber Kettle 22". WSM vs.UDS - That's another story all together. I think if you look there may be a post or 2 on this site w/ some thoughts on that topic. Enjoy your cooker, whichever you decide to get.

JT

Am reading the Ultimate UDS thread now, and got to the point where someone said about adding a door to the UDS and they said you are just making a WSM then. May slowly be getting the differnces here.

New guy dumb question symdrome I suppose.

Ain't no dumb questions in this forum. :-D

Well, outside of the woodpile anyway.:heh:

Kettle is great entry point with instant gratification... can play with fire and figure out if you will be doing more grilling (steaks, burgers, etc.) or roasts (butts, loins, chickens) and then keep building or spending until you scratch that itch. May God have mercy on your pocketbook if you have deep pockets and OCD personality. LOL.

A Chargiller w/side firebox is a good start in "getting your feet wet" but be prepared to do a fair amount of babysitting. Like tending the fire/coals/vents!! Any Weber kettle will produce some fine Q, grilled or smoked. Like others said... if you know your way around the garage and have basic mechanical skills, then start reading the mother of all threads on UDS. UDS's are smoking machines with little maintenance.

Anyway you go... show us da PRON!!!

UDS vs WSM
If you have the skills and a few tools build a UDS, if you don't, save for a WSM. If you want a WSM effect on the UDS, put a third rack just above your charcoal basket. Then you can place a diffuser or water pan on it. You won't need a door in your UDS if you load your basket with lump or briquettes when you start. One important thing, get a drum without a liner!!!! It will make your life a lot easier!!

I recommend this book:
Low & Slow: Master the Art of Barbecue in 5 Easy Lessons
http://www.amazon.com/Low-Slow-Mast...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1293032080&sr=1-1

It is written for either a Weber Kettle, Weber WSM (I used it with an ECB) or an offset. 5 very easy, step-by-step lessons. If you master the lessons in this book, you will have the foundational knowledge to experiment and try things and understand why they work or don't work. I think this book will answer all of your questions and more without overwhelming you like the internet can.

My thoughts on WSM vs UDS (I support both cookers highly).

WSM's work right out of the box and they are all produced the same so they all cook basically the same way. So you can get advice on how to cook with it and pretty much follow that time-tested advice and it will work with your cooker. WSM's are much more expensive than a UDS however, but in comparison to all of the other smokers out there that are proven competition quality, they are the best value. WSM's disassemble for easy cleanup.

UDS is the cheapest competition quality smoker you can find. You have to build it though to get that value. Not all UDS are the same, and the advice you get online from others may not work with yours. However, it is a great reference point to get you started, and if you give it thought and try you will figure your unit out quickly enough and be very happy with it. UDS is a little harder to clean out than a WSM, but I don't think it's a sho stopper, but a point of convenience.

Back