• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Best brisket knife

Contracted Cookers

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Have been useing electric knife for comp. seems like it is chattering the meat a little maybe opening the grain of the meat some. need some expert opinions on what to buy.

I was using the granton slicer recommended above, and it's a very good knife for the price, but it just didn't feel comfortable in my hand, and it seemed to be too long for precision slicing.

I use this one now, and absolutely love it.

http://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-Classic-Hollow-Ground-Slicing-Knife/dp/B0007D6GSU

Shunslicer.jpg

With the VG-10 steel, it's easy to keep scary sharp, and the shape and weight make it easy to control. It's awesome for cutting ribs too!

I use the same Shun that Mr. Bob mentions above. Great knife, stays sharp and is really well balanced in your hand. Just be aware that Shun makes right and left handed knives. Be sure to get the right style handle depending on your dexterity.

Thanks,
Jon

I use the el-cheapo from Costco by Montana Knife Works...:becky:

Montana Knife Works
Professional Chef's Carving Set
Item # 262432
$16.27

262432_V2b.jpg

They have a sharpener that works great as well...2 or 3 strokes and it's razor sharp.

Montana Knife Works
Knife Sharpener
Black Handle
Item # 539992
$8.71

539992b.jpg

I have a 12" and a 14" Forschner and use each as needed. Love them both.

My life has not been the same since I bought a 14" Glestain Beef Slicer :p

Attachments

• brisket.jpg
    brisket.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 239
  • GLS336GC.jpg
    GLS336GC.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 236
Custom Knife by Jerry Kohl's

I did not like how my knuckles dragged with most knifes and have big mits so I designed a knife with an offset similar to the 14" Glestain Beef Slicer. I went to a custom knife builder. The cost was similar, but I picked the wood for the handle, beautiful knife. I can give you contact info for Jerry if you are interested.

The reason your electric knife is giving you trouble is the blades. The design is very important as is their sharpness. I have used three different brands of electric knives and have found the Electric Fisherman (Academy $19.00) to be perfect for slicing BBQ. I replace my blades with NEW ones three times a year. It's $6.00 well spent for new blades.

Some electric knife blades leave a velvet like texture on one side of the meat slice. Others bind during use due to wear, meat getting in between the blades and or poor design causing the knife to chatter and vibrate making clean slices impossible.

I own twelve quality knives for my home kitchen and an Edge Pro sharpening system. I carry one knife in my cookbox, a Forschner 10" Scimitar, for emergencies in case I have no power at turn in time. Otherwise I use my electric. IMO High quality cutlery is a very seductive idea but a roll of expensive high maintenance knives are not needed to slice BBQ. One sharp knife to prep the meat and a quality electric knife is all you need. You just have to choose well. $40.00

Back