• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Good whole brisky's in west chicagoland?

jds62f

Reaction score
I know there's got to be some brethren in west chicagoland... I'm in the wheaton/glen ellyn area.

Where do you guys pick up your briskets?

I've got a "Clancy's Corner" and a "Wheaton Meat Co" near me... I'm from KC and the BBQ you can buy here is lacking (at least so far). I've got me a LBGE and while I've smoked pork and poultry before this will be my first venture into beef. I've got a lot of threads from here bookmarked for my first cook, just looking to see if anyone's got a recommendation (or otherwise).

TIA!

Tia, I'm west of Chicago about 90 miles. I have always found excellent briskets at our local Wal-Mart store. I look for the largest one I can find. If it isn't over 13 lbs, I don't get it. I also make sure the flat portion of the brisket is not too thin. Make sure you get a nice thick one.

Trucky9754

cooking on
FEC100
CS009
Weber gasser
Ultra Fast Red Thermopen

Just ask Jim or Paul to order you one (at Clancey's that is). They're awesome, will get you anything you want, and have the best prices around. You could get cheaper from Restaurant Depot, but you'd need a membership, and the quality isn't there. Trust me. I'm in downtown Lombard about 2 blocks from them and I shop there about 5 days a week :eek:

Christopher

You could get cheaper from Restaurant Depot, but you'd need a membership, and the quality isn't there. Trust me. I'm in downtown Lombard about 2 blocks from them and I shop there about 5 days a week :eek:

Christopher

I have to disagree with that statement as ive gotten nothing but good quality briskets from Restaurant Depot. I shop the Lombard location as well..they carry more than one brand so im sure some are better than others..i stick with Excel and have been more than happy with them

Jds62f - im sure Don at Wheaton Meat could fix you up..

I meant I shop at Clanceys 5 days a week, not restaurant depot lol:rolleyes:. Never been to wheaton meat, so I can't comment on their quality, or pricing.

so survey says try them all... I guess thats about what I thought would happen :) I did swing by RD once and they were nice enough to give me a temp pass ( I picked up a butt). Not sure how often I'd be able to do that though... unless there's a member here that would be nice enough to let me tag along (let me know if there is) I'll be tryin the others first.

So far here's my list of "to try" in no particular order:

sams
RD
clancy's
wheaton meat co

anywhere else I should be looking in the wheaton/lombard (or even elmhurst) area?

We could meet up at the depot sometime if you want. We have an account there. Try them all, and formulate your own opinion :wink:.

I'll definitely take you up on that. I know I'm late to the game but I just got my new rig setup and I really want to get in a few good smokes before the year is out. I figure with a LBGE I should be able to smoke further into the year than otherwise possible. I grill year round anyway so I'm pretty used to watching the grill with a jacket on!

Also, there's a reason no one has heard of wheaton meat company... they don't sell whole briskets. They only have un/trimmed flats (@ 4.79/lb !)

Definitely looking forward to turning out some sliced brisket and burnt ends (or some tasty chili and beans if the cook doesn't go well)

I haven't tried to get briskets at Wheaton Meat market but everything else i have bought there has been very good quality. Try their London Broil. It is marinated in a special marinade.

I bought all of my briskets this comp season from RD (32 briskets) and never had a bad one. I'll also offer to meet you at the Lombard RD if you want to look there. I think you can also go there and ask for a day pass, but you have to pay cash.

It's tough finding a packer around here. I bought my last one at Super Tony's in Melrose Park. They don't have them out so you have to find someone in the meat dept. and ask. It was two something per pound on sale. I still would like to try RD someday. If you guys are doing a field trip, please post when you are going. I would be glad to meet you there. :icon_cool

Hey Neo, wednesdays are usually good for me. Where are you in Elmhurst? I live in Lombard, so It's a quick trip for me. I'd love to check out your set-up some time. And you might be able to check out ours too :wink:

Christopher.

I haven't tried to get briskets at Wheaton Meat market but everything else i have bought there has been very good quality. Try their London Broil. It is marinated in a special marinade.

I bought all of my briskets this comp season from RD (32 briskets) and never had a bad one. I'll also offer to meet you at the Lombard RD if you want to look there. I think you can also go there and ask for a day pass, but you have to pay cash.

I've gone there once and gotten a day pass, but the experience left me wondering how possible it would be to repeat whenever I wanted a brisket. They didn't make me pay cash for the butts I picked up.

If there's a field trip to RD lets schedule one up! I can be fairly flexible with schedule on a couple days notice. This weekend? Next wednesday? Since I'm just beginning my adventure with briskets it would be nice to have some experience present when it comes to picking one out.:biggrin:

Hey Neo, wednesdays are usually good for me. Where are you in Elmhurst? I live in Lombard, so It's a quick trip for me. I'd love to check out your set-up some time. And you might be able to check out ours too :wink:

Christopher.

I've gone there once and gotten a day pass, but the experience left me wondering how possible it would be to repeat whenever I wanted a brisket. They didn't make me pay cash for the butts I picked up.

If there's a field trip to RD lets schedule one up! I can be fairly flexible with schedule on a couple days notice. This weekend? Next wednesday? Since I'm just beginning my adventure with briskets it would be nice to have some experience present when it comes to picking one out.:biggrin:

I'm in north Elmhurst. East of York north of 290. A field trip to RD wold be great. I'm good with a couple days notice also. Lets do it. :icon_cool

so survey says try them all... I guess thats about what I thought would happen :) I did swing by RD once and they were nice enough to give me a temp pass ( I picked up a butt). Not sure how often I'd be able to do that though... unless there's a member here that would be nice enough to let me tag along (let me know if there is) I'll be tryin the others first.

So far here's my list of "to try" in no particular order:

sams
RD
clancy's
wheaton meat co

anywhere else I should be looking in the wheaton/lombard (or even elmhurst) area?
Id be more than happy to meet up with anyone at the Lombard RD . I have a membership. Only caveat is like to shop early so you if you are a late riser you might have to adjust your schedule :p
Most Sams dont carry full packer cuts but I like the meats there as well.
yes opinions on where to get meat will vary just like everyhting else bbq related ..best bet is like you say try em all and form your own opinion

I'll definitely take you up on that. I know I'm late to the game but I just got my new rig setup and I really want to get in a few good smokes before the year is out. I figure with a LBGE I should be able to smoke further into the year than otherwise possible. I grill year round anyway so I'm pretty used to watching the grill with a jacket on!

Also, there's a reason no one has heard of wheaton meat company... they don't sell whole briskets. They only have un/trimmed flats (@ 4.79/lb !)

Definitely looking forward to turning out some sliced brisket and burnt ends (or some tasty chili and beans if the cook doesn't go well)
most butchers ive been to dont keep whole briskets in house..im betting it would be a special order at your average meat market/butcher..and costly too

I'm willing to concede the time/day details to any generous brethren member with a membership.

Place: Lombard RD
Day/Time: Someone who's a member throw one out and the rest of us freeloaders will say if we can show up. Based on previous comments I'm thinking maybe this weekend or next wednesday would be good timing?

I'm willing to concede the time/day details to any generous brethren member with a membership.

Place: Lombard RD
Day/Time: Someone who's a member throw one out and the rest of us freeloaders will say if we can show up. Based on previous comments I'm thinking maybe this weekend or next wednesday would be good timing?

What he said. :icon_cool

Ok, 1st free day I'll have is a week from today (next wednesday). Everyone that wants to go talk amongst yourselves, and decide on the time. Doesn't matter much to me as I'm 5 minutes away.

Back