Multiple pit owners

Mike in Corpus

Reaction score
I've noticed most of the competing brethren here own several different types of pits. Do you believe some pits produce a better product than others even if cooked at the same temp. for the same amount of time? If you had only one pit to compete with, and did not have to worry about turn in times, which one would you go with?

If I didn't have to worry about turn in times, I would cook with the big Lyfe Tyme offset. It just seems the best q I cook comes off of it.

pits are like butt holes and opinions......everybody has one and our is always the best.....

That being said.....Backwoods all the way! Went from BGE's to Stumps to BWS and I like the Backwoods the best so I'm sticking with them!

I am not a competitor but you ask a complicated question. Mobility of the pit, quantity of meat being cooked. What is good for a competitor is probably not the best for a backyard BBQ'er. If you can be more specific about what "you" want to accomplish, you may get more responses. Nobody trying to dis you here!

pits are like butt holes and opinions......everybody has one and our is always the best.....

That being said.....Backwoods all the way! Went from BGE's to Stumps to BWS and I like the Backwoods the best so I'm sticking with them!

We own offsets, cabinets, drums and bullets. Love them all. Everyone has their faves though.

Duhh!!! Everyone would cook with roto's if they could.:thumb: That's just a givin!!.......... Let the fun begin!:-D

Mike I would answer this with a yes. Our team has an FE, 4UDS's, 2 Webber bullets. We do not cook on all them at comps but we do cook on a combination. I will say that we have had better luck with brisket when we cook it on a can rather then the FE or the bullet. Pork different story we have better luck on a bullet low and slow then a UDS. If there are no turn in times, it dioes not matter because I think some cookers cook better then others, but thats my opinion. Hope this answers your question.

The thought of only having one pit to play with makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up! Oh the humanity!

Its a multi-faceted question.

A Pitmaster should know his equipment... and that is compounded by several different
techniques, scenarios, temperatures, and cookers. Its a skill set we strive for.

Cut my teeth on a Bandera clone.
Love the offset that weighs 5 times more than myself.
Appreciate the features of my keg (low/high temp/direct/indirect).

If there was a stick burning BGE out of 1/4" steel.... now that's another story.

If I had to pick just one for a Comp, it would be a Backwoods. The reason for that other than the obvious is that it is not effected by the weather. It cooks the same in -10 weather as it does in 90 degree weather.

Since the first time that we cooked with our Spicewine, I have not even thought about using the bullet.

we started on drums...then to backwoods which I still love...do chicken on a MAK pellet grill...this year we have a big Meadow Creek TS-250 trailer with a MAK and a BBQ26 chicken cooker and so far are in love.

I dont think it has to do with so much the style of pit as the purpose of the pit......for example we use a 9 foot offset smoker to cook our butts and brisket then use a Kamando for ribs and chicken, moisture purposes mainly, but the main reason for multiple grills is for the type of protein you are cooking on it.....chicken needs a higher more direct heat in a shorter time frame for cooking vs. butts and briskett that benefits from a low and slow offset heat approach and besides all of that he who dies with the most toys wins !!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap2:

It depends on what your cooking and if your competing. We use a Weber to finish our chicken on just for temp reasons. I use 3 uds's for my ribs, pork and brisket. I am still not all that familiar with our new clone. Only cooked on it a few time before we put the trailer in storage for the winter. I am sure that I will start cooking my pork and brisket on it and get some use out of that stoker.

It depends on what your cooking and if your competing. We use a Weber to finish our chicken on just for temp reasons. I use 3 uds's for my ribs, pork and brisket. I am still not all that familiar with our new clone. Only cooked on it a few time before we put the trailer in storage for the winter. I am sure that I will start cooking my pork and brisket on it and get some use out of that stoker.

It also depends on which sanctioning body you're competing. Many great
smokers either aren't large enough to cook enough meat for some sanctioning
bodies or aren't legal (electricity, etc).

You'll find many of the competitors that compete across sanctioning bodies
stay with the stick burners. Within that there's reverse flow or not
reverse flow, and gas assist/start or not. We have both reverse flow and
not reverse flow. I've found that the reverse flow seems to have almost
a convection effect (ala. cooks faster a the same temps).

Contrary to above, many competitors like their set-it-and-forget-it types,
like Stumps, etc. These allow competitors to get significantly more sleep,
and that is not to be under-estimated.

Many competitors that stick with the smaller volume of meat sanctioning
bodies love their BGE's, Kamado's, etc. Very fuel efficient and many swear
by them.

Frankly, it has more to do with which sanctioning body you'd prefer to
compete and how you enjoy cooking. If sleep is high on your list, look to
the set-it-and-forget-it types. If you enjoy traditional old-school cooking,
then you might prefer the offset stick burners.

Back