Smoked Baked Beans

smokedinvt

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hey - saw on another thread a comment about making smoked baked beans. Didn't want to hijack the thread, so started a new one. Anyone have a recipe and/or suggestions on how to make baked beans on a smoker? I am using a small, electric Brinkmann (first smoker, dreams of growing up one day.....).
Thanks!

Do a search on here for Keri hog apple beans. You will not be disappointed. :clap2::clap2:

I mix mine up like I normally would and place in smoker at 250 for a couple hours. If I have a brisket in I try to time it where the beans are under it as it renders.

The best smoked baked beans I've ever had is at Pod-Nuhs BBQ in Shreveport. Their bbq sucks but their beans are the best I've tasted. Rumor has it they place them under their brisket or pork and let the drippin's fall in.

I doubt that's all they do but good night alive they are good.

This is simple and very forgiving as far as the ingredients go.

I do a pound of cooked ground beef and a large can of Bush's Original baked beans (not the huge can, but roughly the size of two or three normal size cans...not sure how many oz that is...)

Mix those and then add:

Mustard, Ketchup, Worcestershire Sauce, Molasses, and Brown Sugar. I always just wing the amounts, but typically I squirt/pour the liquids in a line down the length of a long baking pan and call that enough and then maybe 1/2 to 1 cup of the brown sugar. Stir all of those in.

Bake or smoke that at around 300 until its reduced to the thickness that you want (if you like it juicy, take it out sooner, and if you like it thick leave it in longer.

I've found that when smoking, you would only be able to get smoke flavor on the top (it's not going to smoke through the pan), so you will probably want to plan on storing it often if you want to incorporate some smoke flavor. I've only done it once and I didn't stir. If there was any smoke flavor (couldn't really tell a difference since all of the other flavors are so strong) it was on the top.

I'm doing this exact recipe this weekend, but I'll probably do it in the oven. Let us know what you do and how it turns out...

My lazy man recipe is to simply open a can (or two) of Bush beans and put em in pan and smoke em. If I'm more energetic, I might put some leftover pulled pork, a lil BBQ sauce and dice onions in there.

It's all good, just different degrees of goodness.

What I do for catering is put 2 #10 cans of baked beans in a restaurant pan and mix in 18 oz of our BBQ sauce. I then put it in the smoker under my pork butts so the drippings go in the beans.

I then cook for about 3 hours at 225 degrees.

Saw a BBQ program on FN where they visited several BBQ places - the one that was said to have the best beans did this:

The had LARGE smokers with several shelves. The put the chicken on the top shelf, brisket under that with the ribs and the pork shoulder on the lower shelves. The beans went in below them all.

As they cooked, each meat dripped on what was below it so the beans got all the flavors dripped into them.

When they pulled the pork and sliced the brisket, they threw some of each in the beans before serving.

Sounded good to me :thumb:

Here's a recipe we are pretty fond of..........

Smoky Baked Beans
4 cans (15 ounce) pork and beans
One cup of chopped up smoked pork or brisket
One cup of Your Favorite Bar B Que Sauce

One-third cup brown sugar
One-half cup ketchup
One-half cup water
1 tablespoon chili powder

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan, bringing to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Transfer the beans to a baking pan and place in your smoker. Smoke for 45 minutes, leaving the pan uncovered. Stir the beans two or three times as they smoke.

My lazy man recipe is to simply open a can (or two) of Bush beans and put em in pan and smoke em. If I'm more energetic, I might put some leftover pulled pork, a lil BBQ sauce and dice onions in there.

It's all good, just different degrees of goodness.

My kind of guy, we used to put the can on the grill or open fire until hot then grab a spoon and eat right out the can. My Dad would tease me about serving canned food still in the can. I figured, hey, no dishes since you can lick the spoon clean... :thumb:

I use a cast iron dutch oven filled with Keri C's beans and do the rendering thingie. It also acts as an extra heat sink and I get real stable temps in the vertical. :cool:

After reading this thread and Keri's Hog-Apple baked beans recipe. I had to make some for dinner tonight. I even used my homemade chipotle power that I made last weekend.

The beans are just fantastic sweet, smokey, and just a hint of heat after swallowing them.

The recipe says that it serves 12 but I think people will eat more of these beans than they would any other beans. Plan on doubling the recipe if serving more than six people.

Do a search on here for Keri hog apple beans. You will not be disappointed. :clap2::clap2:
Those beans are no joke! I thought it was crazy to put apples pie filling in it, but it was the best beans I ever made!

Back