• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Baby backs or spares

Competition Rib: baby backs or spares

• baby backs

Votes: 33 27.0%
  • spares

Votes: 89 73.0%

• Total voters

Sledneck

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Just trying to get an idea of current rib trends in the comp bbq world.(within the last year) Private poll, nobody will see what you voted for. I know some will say they want to vote "both" Not giving the option, If both then just vote for the one more used and/or more successful with.

Spares. A little bigger and easier to cut. Also, easier to make them look 'purty' for the judges.

Sled,

From the 4 contests that I have judged here in Florida the spares are used more so than the baby backs.

Slower Lower is back to doing spares and we suck WAY worse than Jacked Up, so take this FWIW.:wink:

We were lifelong fans of BBs before doing competition, but we went with spares at all our comps (cuz that what's wins, right?) except for the last one. Our spares stunk up to that point, so we decided to try BBs. The ribs were so bad, I almost threw the box away and didnt turn in. Needless to say, they did not do well. Finally, our last practice cook turned out awesome spares. And we are doing another practice this weekend before our next comp in 2 weeks. Spares are on for us again.

Would like to hear some more judges comments as well. Maybe an observation such as one particular cut seems to be turned in overcooked more than the other?

Speaking of overcooked...I use BB's at comps.

Baby back never do well at comps…

Generally depends on where (location in the nation) and which
sanctioning body. Here, rarely in KCBS do BB's do well at all. However,
I dont recall ever seeing a spare take a MIM event. I think it has to
do with judges and their expectations. Me, I prefer BB's when judging.

I went against the poll results this past weekend to change things up a bit and cooked baby backs. I have always done spares in comp with the exception of my very first contest back in 2005. I haven't cooked a rack of baby backs at home probably just as long. It needs a bit of work but they finished 9/72 last weekend. Maybe it was just these ribs but they took MUCH longer than I had anticipated to cook. I cooked them close to 5 hours total and they still weren't 100% done. I am guessing had I cooked them another 15 minutes they would of scored even higher cause my tenderness scores could of been better.

I also switched back to babybacks this past weekend after a long hiatus. Turned out great but they were DQ'd so who the hell knows. Not sure if I'll try again later this month.

Back