Help with MSG Questions

Greg60525

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm thinking about possibly using MSG in a competition brisket rub. I have a couple of questions:

1. What effect does MSG have and does it have a flavor of its own or does it somehow punch up the flavor? How would you characterize two identical rubs, except that one has MSG int it?

2. Does the MSG make it taste more salty?

3. If I want to add MSG to my rub how do I know how much to add? Is the amount based on the total amount of rub or based on the amount of salt or some other ratios?

Thanks,

I use to use it until i found out alot of people have alergic reactions to it.

I use to use it until i found out alot of people have alergic reactions to it.

A prospective judge needs to be aware of what their allergies are.. If anything is questionable as to what may be consumed.. they should not judge.

Most(not all) of the popular comp rubs contain MSG...

Head Country, Smokin' Gun's, Slabs, and many others contain MSG. Dizzy Pig products do not.

I know that some people have reactions to it. I never used the stuff before and probably won't use it for my family cooks, etc.. I may use it for competition, however. I ordered some rubs to play around with and noticed everyone of them has MSG.........I know there are others that do not.

As far as the judges go, I would think that they have an idea. I would be more concerned about proper food handling issues, etc..

So back to my original questions: any comments or advice?

Thanks,

If you're gonna use it.. apply it as you would salt... to taste..

My brother in law is a pharmacist, and before our first competition several years ago we contemplated using MSG.. even though it was already in our rub in an unknown qty. I don't recall the scientific details but he was strongly in favor of applying the MSG after the meat was cooked rather than on top of the rub prior to cooking. Some reasons about the chemical breakdown after long exposure to heat would diminish the desired effect.

As far as the judges.. I doubt most can accurately determine which entries have MSG with all the other flavors the teams incorporate from sweet, salt and heat... and that's probably the last thing a judge would be thinking about anyway.

There is a special flavour defined as "meatiness" which MSG tends to give food. It is a good component for meat rubs, which is why it is so common. My belief is that most people in fact do not have any negative reaction to MSG, and to classify it as an allergy is completely bogus. What I have heard is that one guy felt bad one night after eating Chinese takeout and wrote an article about it in some rag, and then every one started to think they were having the same problems. The country got scared and demanded no MSG. Double-blind research has shown that these reactionis are not linked to MSG and are largely psychosomatic. My own personal research is has shown that if you don't tell ppl they are eating MSG, they never know.

dmp

A prospective judge needs to be aware of what their allergies are.. If anything is questionable as to what may be consumed.. they should not judge.

That is why I do not judge. Being allergic to pork is not fun. But, by using massive amounts of gloves, and bottles of soap, I can manage to cook it... But the fun part is, I have no idea what it tastes like other than having other people taste it and tell me what it is like.... everyone tells me it is real good to excellent, and I have had a few walks with it, so I must be doing something right.... :eek: :biggrin: :eusa_clap

MSG goes in and all of my comp meats. We use to not use it and started and results have been much better. Not sure if it has anything to do with it or not?

Someone is alergic to everything on the plantet. Some people are actually alergic to the living. We use some MSG, occasionally. After some research, I think MSG has had a bad rap. More people are alergic to peanuts than MSG. Don't hear national news blasting peanut! Just a thought.

Someone is alergic to everything on the plantet. Some people are actually alergic to the living. We use some MSG, occasionally. After some research, I think MSG has had a bad rap. More people are alergic to peanuts than MSG. Don't hear national news blasting peanut! Just a thought.

I've never had a complaint about my MSG rubbed Asbestos Buffalo Turds cooked in peanut oil with my radon fired fryer.

MSG is used in higher quantities in many snack foods than you would ever use in BBQ. It's that mouth-watering Umami effect that is responsible for "no one can eat just one".

If some one tells you they are allergic to MSG, ask them if they eat Doritos, Goldfish crackers or Ramen noodles. Each of these contain very high amounts of MSG, yet they are extremely popular products.

Back