• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
I just used 3 clamps I got at Harbor Freight. They are adjustable.

I took the rubbber seal out of the lid and rolled up some tin foil "snakes" to put into the lid's lip instead.

It's not a perfect seal, but after a few smokes, the drippings and just general grease settle in the lip and help seal it up.

I can shut everything down completely and the fire goes out, so it's can't be leaking air very badly.

Okay, here's The Welder Thread then.

Also, I've posted a separate thread for UUDS™ Foot-Operated Air Vents & fire-basket/ash-pan combo. Just wanted to link it here with the rest of the UDS info...

880736162_bd4505bb12_o.jpg

880737922_371658cbed_o.jpg

879888733_89fcbf5cbf_o.jpg
I decided that this thread isn't long enough. I hadda tack on to the end. (Welding pun not intended--but funny!) I saw this get-up, and just had to applaud the engineering! This is COOL!:cool:

Hey farklf I think there is a test you have to take first. Not sure who administers it though. It is not open computer either, you have to memorize the subject matter, like what to do if you don't weld and your nipples get loose.:lol:

I hate it when my nipples get loose...
sorry

Anyone in the KC area that has experience in manufacturing UDS' that would be interested in making and selling one, shoot me a PM

The holes on mine is 5/8 of inch and has a 1 inch wide and 3 inch long strip of metal that I can use to open or put them in place over the holes. I have 3 holes around the bottom, and up top I use the two holes that was in my lid but I always leave them open.

What a post...

Just got through this huge post. Much info here. I think my head is still spinning. I forgot most of it but I think I am ready. Now time just to find a drum.
Great info and thanks for all your time you guys spent putting this together.. It was a long but very useful read.

Uds 1.02

This thing is so ugly, I love it!
It makes good food too. :-D

Weiser

Attachments

• Country or What? copy.jpg
    Country or What? copy.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 1,295
  • McGyver copy.jpg
    McGyver copy.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 1,300
  • On!!! copy.jpg
    On!!! copy.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 1,298
  • Ribs complete. copy.jpg
    Ribs complete. copy.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 1,305
UDS is like what they told you about fat girls. It's what's on the inside that counts.

Anyone used the New Kingsford Competion Charcoal?
What is the most popular charcoal used?

Andyll

Andyll: just starting bbq with a UDS.. just finished my first of four for comp cooking.

Andyll

Anyone used the New Kingsford Competion Charcoal?

Yes. It seems to burn a little hotter so start less and be prepared to use less intake air. Keep a close eye on warmup so that you can catch the temp on the rise to get it to where you want it. It also has a lighter (airer) consistency so shake the basket to pack it down to help control the burn.

Smells great!!

Dave

Barbarian, I wanted to build this UDS for less than 50 bucks so I did a bit
of scrounging through the junk that I had on hand.
The handle is actually a line hook from an old cruiser we had. It works really well as a handle and a lid hanger.

I also found an old metal milk crate which made a perfect no weld firebox.

Weiser

Hey Weiser, what is that handle on you UDS????

Back