Yes, it's ANOTHER Standing Rib Roast, ALSO Cooked on a Yoder Smokers YS1500 (Bonus: Cute Kid Crutch Included!)

nucornhusker

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
So, the kids and I were hanging out on Christmas Eve, and my son came up to me and said, "Dad, I have an idea for Christmas Eve dinner."

I said, "Yes, son, what is your idea?"

He says "Well, I remember last year on Christmas Eve when I was one, you cooked a yummy standing rib roast to a perfect medium rare. Can you do one of those again tonight?" (I only WISH he communicated this clearly)

I said "Sure son, let's get one cooking."

Ok, end of the "story".

Here is a two bone, chuck end standing rib roast of about 6lbs. or so (I'm not sure because I bought a 8.5lb three bone roast that would have been way to much, so I cut me a big bone-in ribeye off of the end for later). I'm cooking it in the Yoder Smokers YS1500 at 200* using Lumberjack OHC pellets. Seasoned with only Ted and Barney's and a little Italian Seasoning for some herbs. It set out on the counter for 2.5 hours before it went into the cooker.

Here it is cooked to 125* IT and resting. It came up to a final IT of 133*, perfect medium rare! It was in the smoker for roughly four and a quarter hours and rested for 45 minutes.

My reaction as lived through my son (the sound of angels singing)

Now, pictures of the sliced roast.

Here is your Dad's 28oz, 2" thick slice (the weight is after bones were removed, and I ate the meat off of the bones :becky:)

And the aftermath

Yes, it ate the whole thing by myself. Yes, it was wonderful. Yes, I hurt for a little while after eating it. Yes, I would do it again if given the option. No, I'm not a very big guy. But I cooked too big of a roast and couldn't let it go to waste! :twisted:

In all truth, it turned out fantastic! It was far better than the one I cooked last year. And even though I didn't sear it, since it was in the cooker for over four hours with a lot of airflow, it had a crust on the outside and was slightly crispy when you bit into it. So the deckle was absolutely OUTSTANDING with the flavor of the exterior, perfectly tender, and plenty of meat. This is the first time I have eaten a slice of rib roast and was completely fine with my plate being empty. Usually I'm left wanting more.

Merry Christmas everyone!

You didn't finish! I'm calling you Jack Sprat from now on...:tsk:

:becky::thumb::thumb:

Sounds like a fantastic day and meal right there!

I didn't sear mine either - I was planning on it but when I took it out I like how it looked and didn't wanna fark with it.

Anyway - way to nail that one! :clap2:

Back