• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Sichuan-style wabbit

caliking

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Was walking through a large Asian grocery store (99 Ranch) the other day when i spied me a wabbit. Had not cooked this in years, so I figured why not.

The groceries:
IMAG1258_zps14112e11.jpg

The star of the show (besides the wabbit) - Sichuan peppercorns. They are somewhat cherry colored. When you eat them they leave this tingly, slightly numbing feeling on your tongue.
IMAG1259_zpsaea51fd8.jpg

Cut up the wabbit, and let it sit for about an hour in some shaoxing vinegar, ginger, scallions, and salt.
IMAG1260_zps91db2d29.jpg

Mise en place by the cooker. Don't have a wok for outdoor cooking yet, so I improvised and used my comal set up on the performer.
IMAG1262_zpsf937d51c.jpg

Ingredients are chicken broth, chili black bean sauce, sichuan peppercorns and dried red chillies, soy sauce with sugar, green chillies (coz I like em), peanut butter, and the wabbit.
IMAG1261_zps0be34b27.jpg

Started by browning up the wabbit in some sesame oil.
IMAG1263_zps3da35fea.jpg

Then threw in the peppercorns and red chillies. Let them fry in the oil a bit. The aroma was killer! Made me fall in love with outdoor cooking all over again.
IMAG1264_zps09af810f.jpg

Then threw in everything else. This is what it looked like eventually.
IMAG1267_zpsad7257a4.jpg

A miserable attempt at a plated shot. My phone camera really doesn't do well with my kitchen lighting.
IMAG1274_zpsc7709efb.jpg

The pics don't really do it justice, but the flavor was amazing. If you like the mala flavor of Sichuan cooking, then I think I nailed it. I improvised a tad by adding some chili black bean sauce and peanut butter, because I wanted to improve the texture of the sauce. The peanut butter gave it this sexy silky mouthfeel, and the different chillies just made the flavors really pop. I will definitely be doing this again.

Thanks for looking!

Really??? Wabbit from China!!!!
I guess I forget how lucky we are to walk out the back door and yell at them to get out of the yard.
Ed

That looks great! Love me some rabbit, never ate a store-bought Chinese one though, just regular old American briar-patch lurkin' ones.

Funny, I've been on the hunt for those sichuan peppercorns all week. Can't find any here in Buffalo, guess I'll order some online.

Looks great!

What are you doin' cookin' wabbit when everyone knows it's really duck season, doc?

If I went hunting I would be a danger to everything except the animals! Most likely to pull a Dick Cheney... :laugh:

Really??? Wabbit from China!!!!
I guess I forget how lucky we are to walk out the back door and yell at them to get out of the yard.
Ed

What could be more authentic than a Chinese rabbit in Chinese food?

Funny, I've been on the hunt for those sichuan peppercorns all week. Can't find any here in Buffalo, guess I'll order some online.
They have a really neat flavor. Check these guys out:http://www.myspicesage.com/sichuan-...l?cPath=1_62&zenid=vkpkch7qr4cnu3098dtklndg24

I think a friend of mine ordered some stuff from them a while back and was happy. I have not ordered from them personally. Maybe try Penzey's. If you strike out, PM me and I'll send you a sample. Brethren have been kind to me in the past by sending samples of rubs, so I should pay it forward!

Back