• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Smoked Duck

Jeanie, that looks sublime!

I have to ask, what do you use the drippings for??

Thank you Mdboatbum and pwa!

Very nice Jeanie! :clap2: The food looks amazing, and aside from that, the BPS drum and the custom grate are sa-weet!

I've eaten and enjoyed duck, but never have cooked it. I've been thinking about trying that as well as goose.
Thanks Greg! I am really lovin' the drum and grate. :becky:

Would love some quacker gumbo but duck hunting is the most miserable sport i know (plus i really s*ck at hitting flying animals).
lol I know what you mean! Duck hunting can get kind of miserable at times. My feet usually get cold and wet. :laugh: Thanks Frognot!

Thank you Phu and Shirkinwrk! :-D

Looks great as usual Jeanie! Is that one of your ducks or buy it somewhere?
Gary thanks! Got this one from my farriers wife. It's a pekin meat duck.

That looks really good. What other prep do you perform on the duck? Any scoring? Or you are just cooking like a chicken?

Thank you Chicagokp! I usually prick it all over with a fork. Seems to help the fat drain faster and gets the skin crisp.

I'm going to brag on you! :p

lol Michael thanks!! :hug:

Pmad thank you!! :-D

looks great, Jeanie!

what was your pit temp, and do you remember about how long it took?

Thank you Fantomlord! I cooked it at 325F. Didn't keep track of the time but it was probably around 2 hours. I was busy making the side dish and didn't keep a close eye on it. Sorry!!

Yea, that's looks awesome. I've never done a duck, but it's on my list.
Love that grate too!

Thank you Bob!! :-D

Jeanie, that looks sublime!

I have to ask, what do you use the drippings for??

Pat Thanks!! The drippings are so flavorful.. I like to use it for gumbo.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=142729

Looks delicious Jeanie! I love duck!

Thanks you Cheez! :-D

I love duck and yours looks fantastic. I'm doing my best not to drool on my keyboard.

I'm surprised the skin was crisp in places, though. When I smoke poultry, the skin gets leathery and virtually inedible. Am I doing something wrong? Maybe it's because I usually put a mustard-based paste on it.

How much did it weigh, how long did it take to smoke and at what temp?

I love duck and yours looks fantastic. I'm doing my best not to drool on my keyboard.

I'm surprised the skin was crisp in places, though. When I smoke poultry, the skin gets leathery and virtually inedible. Am I doing something wrong? Maybe it's because I usually put a mustard-based paste on it.

what temperature do you cook your birds at? usually rubbery skin is from too low a pit temp.

I wish my wife would eat duck... This looks great, and I would love to make duck more than I get to.

Thanks friends!!

Thanks Craig, I didn't weigh the bird, smoked it at 325F until the juices ran clear. About 2 hours. I like smoking poultry at 325 or higher. The meat doesn't benefit from a low heat smoke like brisket or pulled pork. IMO
The high heat helps crisp the skin. Thanks again!

Cowgirl, that looks awesome!!!! Never had duck in my life.... but i would most certainly take a big bite of that :clap2:

Thank you TQ, I hope you give it a try. Domestic duck has a lot more meat and more fat than a wild one but both are tasty. :-D

Who made your custom lettered cast iron grate? That just looked sharp.

Matt at Meyer Metal Works made the grate..
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133311

I love the thing! Have been using it in my BPS drum, my old drum is being neglected. lol

Thanks again everyone!

Fantastic as always Jeanie!!! I had missed the gumbo thread so I am glad you referenced it again here. I would love to try the duck and I love a good gumbo. Great job!!!!

Fantastic as always Jeanie!!! I had missed the gumbo thread so I am glad you referenced it again here. I would love to try the duck and I love a good gumbo. Great job!!!!
Thanks!!
Gumbo is one of my favorite comfort foods. :-D

I don't believe you did not heed my warning...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149726

HPIM5395r.JPG

Back