View Single Post
Old 05-11-2009, 08:31 PM   #11
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

I need to be especially diplomatic here. Now hear this... this is the logic of why YOU SHOULD NOT COOK CLOD LOW AND SLOW and it is a logical one. We are talking about the large clods too.

Brisket can only be cooked well done. A rare brisket just ain't gonna work. We Agree????

Do we all agree that brisket cannot be properly enjoyed rare, meduim rare or even medium... correct.

You with me here?

Next step...

Clod is HUGELY enjoyable rare, medium rare or medium when you roast it around 400.

BUT it can also be enjoyable (somewhat) low and slow.

Next step... so why goof with it unless you are making (forced MOCK chopped beef sandwiches). True Chopped beef like true burnt ends are made from overcooked meat that is not up to slicing standards.

Next step - so if you can make well done tender brisket at smoke temp of 225 to 350 (with a progressive decline), then why try that with a clod which is good both ways but really best as a rare piece or medium especially.

I do have a video of clod. Its a small clod though.

dress it in three layers, start off at 200 ala Thirdeye for smoke ring and tenderization (from active enzymes), and then crank it up to 400 to 425 or so until a internal temp of

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTrwf6_Mi3c

This video does not reflect how I do it now.. it orginally was for a test on the stoker.

By the way ignore my rub techinque in this video and use the tri level rub now

Also, now that I let it smoke one hour very low to get that smoke ring in and tender up the first inch or so (which ends up medium) my clod is more medium rare now and juicier.

Againjst the grain just did something like 500 clods for bbq and also for a ribeye event... yes rib eye event cut from clods.

I got sick and lost the tranny in my car or we would all be seeing a video of it right now, sorry jim.

Last edited by barbefunkoramaque; 05-11-2009 at 10:59 PM..
barbefunkoramaque is offline   Reply With Quote