Catering Question

River City Smokehouse

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I will be cooking for a men's BBQ at a local Church on April 22. They have requested this menu:
  • Spare Ribs (St. Louis Style)
  • Chicken leg quarters
  • ABT's
  • Beans
  • Cole Slaw (regular & jalapeno)
  • Potato Salad
It will be served buffet style. What quantities of meat would you prepare? I was thinking one leg quarter and three ribs per person. Some will eat more ribs and some will eat more chicken so I figure it would all balance out. They figure the head count to be 45 to 60.

I would think three ribs each might be a little on the light side, go 4-5.

Well, will you be planning both chicken and ribs or, chicken or ribs. I think three-four bones is good , You are offering alot of choices there. My normal gig would be two meats, two sides, bread, and some store bought dessert. Your addition of ABT's and the extra salad is quite generous. Oh, I would charge $15.00, but you cannot get good Q in NE Ohio! Oh, one more thing. If you are not trimming the ribs, you can easily get away with three! If you are, and are also serving the tips, don't forget to count that as some food. Woody

I'm with Neil on this one. I am not a professional caterer, but I have served a lot of bbq to a lot of church groups. If it is a men's group, unless most of them are "mature" -read old geezers- they will take the opportunity to chow down without the "fairer sex" around to moniter their consumption and manners. Around 4-5 ribs [st. Louis style] and the chicken quarters should be ample.

Make sure you give your self ample time to cook. I don't know what kind of cooker you have but ribs for 60 is at the very least is about 20 racks. Unless you have rib racks, most people don't have room to cookall of that in one shot so be sure to plan for the extra cooking time.

Mista

I have 13 hours to cook and be ready that day so I am good. I have helpers too. My cooker has 7200 sq. in. cooking surface so I have all the room I need. This is my pit. It still is under construction though.
Jims_pit.jpg

Neil, good deal broadening those guys horizons and all! Nice pit, is it a Gator? Looks like a Predator? Good luck buddy! Woody

i would go with 4 bones pp . 1 leg quarter pp, 1 full pan of beans per 30 people, and for 60 people i would do 3 gallons of each salad. what are abt's

The Woodman said:
Neil, good deal broadening those guys horizons and all! Nice pit, is it a Gator? Looks like a Predator? Good luck buddy! Woody

From his signature, it's a Bate's pit.

Back