2013 Darlington Speed and Feed

Carolina gamecock

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Had a chance to compete in the 2013 Darlington racetrack Speed and feed cookoff this weekend and I had a total blast!! The company I work for (Nucor Steel) was a sponsor and our GM ponied up the cash for our entry fee. ( free contest!! #win!!!) There were I believe 44 teams there, but it was all the heavy hitters in SCBA being that the top purse was $2500 and a invite to the World Food Championship in Las Vegas.. I knew our spot on the pecking order before we got there, but the BBQ community is a very friendly group of folks in my opinion. Everybody was real easy to talk with and quite a few were very impressed with my homemade "rat rod" smoker! Another thing I loved was that the Band of Oz was there playing some of their classic beach music while we were prepping for pork. (Beach music is a type of music started back in the day around the Myrtle Beach area of NC and SC. Grew up of listening to that with my dad.) I noticed a few teams from the forums here and it was cool to put faces to avatars and team names. Wish I had the money to do it on a regular basis cause I could get addicted to it very quick!! Here's a few pics I got of some things.

Yes Dear BBQ. Chad has helped me out with a lot of questions both directly and by just reading posts. he wasn't there, but his buddy who runs a lot (and whose name I forgot:icon_blush:) was very nice to talk with.

Our setup is directly to the left of All Smoked Up. Yeah the one with no tables or decorations out front!

These dudes here had the best wings I tried Friday night during the wing contest. A Habenero jelly wing. Awesome!!

Smoking Stacks is the team I think that won first place.

The sun coming up over The Lady in Black Saturday morning. We were setup to cook in the actual garage area where they work on the race cars during races. Pit road was directly behind us.

There were more teams down the left side of us but I honestly forgot to get pics..Newbie...

Sorry to have missed you! I couldn't make it to that contest because if some friends in town, but there was no way the other guys were going to miss a chance to cook at a NASCAR race track. How'd you end up doing?

We sucked pretty much! But with all the heavy hitters out there I knew we would be in the bottom. I really need to take a class and hang out on some cooks with my buddy that does contests about every other weekend or so. What the average eater considers good que will get your feelings hurt at a contest. How did yall end up Chad?

We were there and didn’t fair so well either. Had a great time and meet a lot of nice people and some great cooks, hope to do it again next year.

I think with the foot traffic they had a contest next year will probably happen. Were y'all down on the end where the karaoke was going on?

We were the first trailer in the front closet to the building. I talked to one of the organizers and he said they were very happy with the turn out and the quality of the BBQ being served so they may do it again next year.

With as many teams signed up, I'd hope they pay out more than top 3 places as well. With 45 teams, it's one of the bigger SCBA contests.

I'm sure there's a lot they have learned from on what to do or not do for next time. Maybe even whole hog or a backyard and pro division next year.

We were on the lizard lick side.

Back