Pitmaster T's Video Quickies - Basics of Brisket (Official Nubee)

Poor Goo FTW!! Nice video!! Thinking about it I have always done my briskets fat side up and experienced a few that were hard ...tough on the bottom ...jerky like if that makes sense just a bit on the bottom. I cook around 275-300 ish. Ima try fat down next time and see what kind of results i get.

hey T great videos. I have a question? can I still make funky brisket if I dont have a smoker? I only have a Weber mountain Cooker.

I think you forgot the hardest part about making brisket.... FINDING A FULL PACKER!

Here in the desert of BBQ, none of our grocery stores, Sam's or Costco carry full packers. It is only flats at $3.69/#. :oops:

The Wal-Mart by me just started selling packers within the last couple months fwiw.

5. Pull it when the "feel" is right. This means Internal Temps is really a poor choice to determine to a novice when its done.

Your brisket basics are spot on except for this quote.

You can NOT teach "feel". It comes with time and experience. I firmly believe one must cook dozens if not hundreds of briskets before this is learned.

I would normally agree with the advice on going with Packers, HOWEVER today I am going with the 9ers :cool:

You can NOT teach "feel". It comes with time and experience. I firmly believe one must cook dozens if not hundreds of briskets before this is learned.

Thanks so much. I respect you and have for a long time as well. This actually seems like something I might have said at one time while not considering my own "Night train experiement." But you of all people who know me should know what I mean, but I will clarify or remind as I THINK this is covered in the NIGHT TRAIN experiment in which the sole purpose of wasting just one flat in the oven is to teach "feel" the quickest way.

I had no excuse going back into bbq in the 1990s. I was trained (although I was not really paying attention) by Ray Perez at the old Kreuz. Sure I bussed tables and cleans dishes but I got some hands on "feel experience" and probably felt more briskets in a summer than most will in a lifetime.

But here is why I stand by my comment that YOU CAN teach feel. For one, my technique works and it has been documented on here that it does by quite a few.

However, to your credit it could be taught by the therm too, if you guarantee to cook it to an internal that ALL briskets are done (and most overdone). problem is, for the brisket done ON THE PIT at an internal of 180.... its not going to have the right feel when you pull that dried out sucka at 205 IT. Not to mention, on the pit... there could be a myriad of things that could be screwed up in the process.

Also remember, this is actually a MUCH older article than it looks like. It was copied from my barbefunkoramaque article. I don't know if it was before or after the Night train article.

In any case, learning the "feel" with the night train is the EASY part. Why, because it was done in the oven, wrapped in foil, and the zenith of tenderness. It was designed for those who never knew how tender a brisket could be. Maybe what you are saying is.... getting a brisket on the pit... to have the feel that it had in that experiment....well...........that takes a little longer than overnight. But if you NEVER learned the feel in the first place, you would never know what to go for... and like many as a result, pull their brisket too soon with the thought it was overdone and tough.

Look at this...not the whole video just this little part I have cued up for y'all.
Just watch about 30 seconds or so

http://youtu.be/lAv7XZRXFAE?t=5m52s

Thats what screws with people's minds - from the novice on up to the guy that never knew what brisket could be. They THINK they are drying them out. I mean is supposed to get MORE tender, right? LOL I have waited to make a special video using Ali footage because the Brisket is a lot like his rope-a-dope.

Then this...

http://youtu.be/lAv7XZRXFAE?t=6m59s

Same brisket.

Great, I have a cooker now but I'm saving for a real smoker.

Where the hell is all this "cooker/smoker" crap coming from. No one really said this when I fell off the planet. Why this obsession now with cooker/versus smoker?

Sorry bad attempt at cross thread humor.

I thought it was funny :

I just did a 15 lb packer like this today. Wrapped in butcher paper at around 4 hours and it probed like buttah 2 hours later at 214, I think I ate half the brisket before my wife reminded me my kids were hungry. So sad when there are no left over's.

Here's the problem I have cooking packers at those higher temps. I have problems with the end of the flat and about two to three inches in overcooking and turning hard as a rock. How do I keep from that happening and still cooking at those higher temps?

Donnie, I have seen that video before...after you wrap do you place back on the smoker fat up or down the rest of the way till probe tender?

Here's the problem I have cooking packers at those higher temps. I have problems with the end of the flat and about two to three inches in overcooking and turning hard as a rock. How do I keep from that happening and still cooking at those higher temps?
Don't buy packers with thin tails if it is less than 1" either leave it or buy it and trim it. Cook that part too just pull it a little early I'm thinkin Chili here...

Donnie, I have seen that video before...after you wrap do you place back on the smoker fat up or down the rest of the way till probe tender?

Don't buy packers with thin tails if it is less than 1" either leave it or buy it and trim it. Cook that part too just pull it a little early I'm thinkin Chili here...

Bama.. You can do what blue dawg says.... Or... Somewhere I saw.. That guy who cooks like me... Uh Aaron Franklin... I thought I saw him either trim this off before or after... But I never do as I have incredibly long rest periods... Aaron also does this as well as the Meccas of brisket. Also... When I'm not using paper I use the industrial wrap too. Trufunk... Fat up. Fat down (depending on gear) to cook, fat up to rest. Unless I am using the banking method. Also... The meat mama it does not matter so I put it up in that. The bravos vintage Klose pit and UDS it's fat down.

Oh I forgot bama.... I'm a 275 guy and have a lot of the same problems with higher temps like some of the other guys that do it.

U might remember I was preaching and showing hot and fast when it was a practice to be ridiculed. Once People got turn on to my results they started pushing th envelope further than I chose to go as I had already been there... I never have good luck withsustained super high heat like above 325. I can do short bursts but have the same concerns as you. And I pretty much am credited with the Reintroduction of hot and fast.... To such an extent... Heck.... I don't even think my temp is considered hot and fast anymore. I miss u bama!!!!

Back