Krispy chick skin

Armadillo

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm having a hard time keeping my chicken skin for competition from getting rubbery any advice I have tried to cook hot at the last I have not tried searing yet

Good luck. I get the skin crispy the meat is tuff. I get the meat perfect the skin is a chin slapper.

Short answer is stop trying. It isn't going to happen.

Longer answer: make it soft, not crispy. It's easier, and no concern about it getting messed up as it sits around waiting for judging. Braise it by sealing it up in a closed container (pan, muffin tin :icon_smile_tongue:) for an hour during the cook. It will be soft, but not rubbery.

Longer answer: make it soft, not crispy. It's easier, and no concern about it getting messed up as it sits around waiting for judging. Braise it by sealing it up in a closed container (pan, muffin tin :icon_smile_tongue:) for an hour during the cook. It will be soft, but not rubbery.

That right there is the answer to bite through skin.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBQ

I agree. The heat in the box and the sauce will soften the skin anyway.

Is an hour the magic number? What's the least amount of time and still get soft skin?

• Thanks
Reactions: CBQ

Is an hour the magic number? What's the least amount of time and still get soft skin?

Depends on the temp you cook at. 20 minutes near the firebox did the trick on my Klose offset.

I (surprisingly) got bite thru skin at 225 for 20 minutes covered. I like it this way because I get more smoke on the chicken. When panning chicken, it's hard to get good smoke on it. I've found this to be a good way.

I (surprisingly) got bite thru skin at 225 for 20 minutes covered.

I'm kind of surprised at that, but if it works it works. I haven't really done that much experimenting to see if I can shorten it because it works for me.

I would say think hotter and you will find a good answer. I only cook about 45 min to 1 hour total and don't even use butter let alone braise with it and took a first place in a couple of comps this year.

Don't sauce it! Sauce on crispy skin is instant rubber.

Back