View Single Post
Old 10-25-2009, 11:10 PM   #4412
crundle
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20loo View Post
Crundle- that looks like the perfect simple barrel. I bet it will turn out lots of Q with very little babysitting.
I'm curious about the bolt head on the side of the barrel?
Could you edit your last post and throw an "enter" between the last two pictures- some peoples work computers won't allow them to see the third picture.
I am having some trouble finding the edit button for that post, but will keep looking for it!

The bolt head on the side is simply a 2" bolt with a washer on each side of the drum body and a nut on the inside to hold it nice and tight. There are 3 of them on the drum and they seem to hold the grill quite stably.

I figure that after a few attempts at using the grill I will get to know the temps fairly well, so I settled on throwing the thermometer on the lid, also partly because it had a 3" probe only, so it wouldn't really be reading the temperature correctly even at the grill height.

I am trying to source some oven thermometers with a longer probe to mount just below the grill, but unlike you guys over in the US, all of our BBQ suppliers seem to ignore the smoking aspect of BBQing.

I posted up pics of my UDS on an Aussie beer forum and someone responded with a PDF of cooking times and internal temps for smokers. The internal temp for chicken seemed low to me, but the cooking times were spot on, so I am hoping to give it a crack on some spare ribs for my next effort. With that in mind, does anyone have a link to a fairly concise thread anywhere that would explain how to prepare and cook up ribs for a BBQ newbie? I only ask because the search function is a bit restricted still until I get a few posts up, and I prefer to post about meaningful stuff rather than just to increase my post counts!

The site looks like it has a ton of information, and I obviously have a lot to learn about BBQing like you do over the pond - thanks for helping out.

cheers and beers,

Crundle
crundle is offline   Reply With Quote