• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Pastrami

CajunSmoker

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Rolling down the river between St Louis and New Or
I cured a brisket point last week to make some pastrami for today's lunch. Here's the pron:-D

rubbed down and ready to hit the smoker

after 8 hours at 220* we hit 165 internal

cooled overnight in the fridge and then sliced up this morning.

Of all the things I've ever smoked I think Pastrami has been the most fun. I can't stand Corned Beef, but give me some pastrami and I'm one happy camper.

Nice looking grub there, cajun.

Of all the things I've ever smoked I think Pastrami has been the most fun. I can't stand Corned Beef, but give me some pastrami and I'm one happy camper.

Nice looking grub there, cajun.

and I'm the exact opposite. I smoke it for the family but I eat the corned beef:rolleyes:

Well then, both of you may benefit from a slight variation of each I've been making.....I've nicknamed it 'wet pastrami' and it basically involves seasoning the corned beef and smoking just like a pastrami until 140°. Then it gets foiled with some water or beer/water and cooked until 175° or so. (It can also be moved to a covered casserole dish or dutch oven for this braise/steaming or even finished in a pressure cooker). Beef broth does not work for the braising liquid, it robs or changes the flavor.

I serve it hot as a main meat, with potatoes, cabbage etc., and its more flavorful than regular corned beef. (As the bark softens it flavors the braising liquid). When it is chilled is resembles pastrami more than corned beef and is good on sammies. Here is a photo one of the Eggers sent me after he tried my recipe and technique.

pastramiwet11.jpg

I love both, but I'd choose Pastrami every time!

What did you use for the cure and the Pastrami rub, Cajun?

Third eye- that is now on the list.

Couple thirdeye's smoked corned beef with some colcannon and we've got a meal to be reckoned with.

I cured a brisket point last week to make some pastrami for today's lunch. Here's the pron:-D

rubbed down and ready to hit the smoker

after 8 hours at 220* we hit 165 internal

cooled overnight in the fridge and then sliced up this morning.

Was thinking of using a corned beef to make pastrami out of. How would I go about this? What spices ? Do I soak the corned beef to remove some of the salt ? Etc.
thanks

Was thinking of using a corned beef to make pastrami out of. How would I go about this? What spices ? Do I soak the corned beef to remove some of the salt ? Etc.
thanks

Soak in fresh water, in the fridge for 2 or 3 days, changing the water twice a day. Those things are way salty. Much more info available here, just try a search.

Here's the recipe for the corned beef cure and the pastrami rub.

Corned beef cure.
1 beef brisket
1 gallon water
1.5 C Kosher salt
1 C Brown sugar
1/4 C Pickling spice
2 TBS peppercorns
1 cinnamon stick broken up
4 clove studs
5 garlic cloves
6 bayleaves
1/4 tsp Prague #1 per pound of meat
Boil, cool to 40*. Inject brisket every 2 inch's over whole piece and then cover with brine in 2 Gallon ziplock bag for 7 days. Soak in cold water for 3 - 4 hours changing the water frequently. Cook in oven or crock pot or rub and smoke for pastrami.

Pastrami Rub

5 tablespoons kosher salt
4 tablespoons paprika
3 tablespoons coriander seeds
3 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons black peppercorns
2 tablespoons yellow mustard seeds
1 tablespoon white peppercorns
8 cloves garlic, minced
PREPARATION:
Combine coriander seeds, peppercorns and mustard seeds in a spice grinder. Grind coarsely. Add in remaining ingredients and mix well. Rub is now ready to use. It may be stored refrigerated in an airtight container.

Just rub the corned beef with the pastrami rub and smoke it at about 200 - 225 until the internal hits 165 or to your own desired temp.

Thanks Ron L. Did a search after Kevins post. thats were I have been for the last hour. came back here. will check out the link:icon_bigsmil

Back