• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
Okay this should be the last time you guys ever see this drum "ugly". Tomorrow my stainless drum starts its transformation. This is going to be an ugly drum smoker/ grill. I figure since I won't have to worry about burning paint I might as well make it a grill as well. I'm thinking some sort crank, cable and pulleys like those expensive grills use to raise the charcoal grate.
null_zps14f50121.jpg

Okay this should be the last time you guys ever see this drum "ugly". Tomorrow my stainless drum starts its transformation. This is going to be an ugly drum smoker/ grill. I figure since I won't have to worry about burning paint I might as well make it a grill as well. I'm thinking some sort crank, cable and pulleys like those expensive grills use to raise the charcoal grate.
null_zps14f50121.jpg

Awesome, I was thinking the same thing about adjustable charcoal grate with crank.. hasty-bake meets UDS kinda thing but better than hasty-bake because it's airtight and controlled better--and more efficient.

Please post the progress.

I, for one, will be watching. I have the same idea. Dual use, but it comes with some difficulty. The basket, with its base, can be somewhat heavy empty. Add char and wood, the weight increases...

Maybe simple is best...I have three alternatives, neither is neat.

One is to drill four holes at point near top where the basket will be close enough (crosswise), to grille with grate near top to hold coals near cook surface grate, maybe using orig Weber coal grate...the holes must be large enough to run either steel rod or some rebar through to support basket...and can be removed and the holes sealed with bolts and washers. Uneven bars can use U-clamps to even somewhat.

Or, craft long-legged rebar support platform of sorts to place in bbl, same results...but no holes in bbl. Just drop it in place...but more yard clutter.

Or use straps curled about edge to support platform and coal basket, if top will allow it.

Cranks and so on in side well-used bbl seems to be begging to constant care...

All in all, good idea to have alternative that is Weber-like, particularly if some in household prefer grilled over smoked, which is what I have encountered.

It is just after a time, smoked gets to be too much for some and I can understand that, as much as I like it...and meat is getting very spendy, isn't it?

Awesome, I was thinking the same thing about adjustable charcoal grate with crank.. hasty-bake meets UDS kinda thing but better than hasty-bake because it's airtight and controlled better--and more efficient.
Set a concrete block in the bottom and put the basket on top of it,simple and cheap.

Set a concrete block in the bottom and put the basket on top of it,simple and cheap.

You mean 3-4 blocks to get basket high enough? Not arguing. If it works for someone, fine...either way, it does require some crafting. Maybe simple, in this case, not the best, but what the hey?

I would say, simple is best. Smoking stuff is not rocket science. If a simple convection system works, that is goal, but experiments are fun too.

Smoking "stuff" is an art, otherwise everyone would and could do it....

Expanded Metal Grates

I am thinking about buying a 3/4" diamond 9 guage 4' x 8' sheet of expanded metal (carbon steel flat/smooth) for $67 including tax and 3 cuts (so I can fit it in the car).

I'd need about half of this ( 2 x 2'x4' pieces) to make 3 grates and the charcoal basket. So we're talking around $34 for the grates and basket.

Do you think I should go this route? Or go with the cheap 22" weber grates. I need 3 grates (2 for cooking and 1 for diffuser).

I don't ever see the expanded metal grates rusting because it's all low temperature and they should stay seasoned their entire life I'd think.

How hard is it to bend 9 guage expanded metal for the fire basket? The basket will be about 14" in diameter. Should I use a lighter gauge expanded metal for the charcoal basket?

I am thinking about buying a 3/4" diamond 9 guage 4' x 8' sheet of expanded metal (carbon steel flat/smooth) for $67 including tax and 3 cuts (so I can fit it in the car).

I'd need about half of this ( 2 x 2'x4' pieces) to make 3 grates and the charcoal basket. So we're talking around $34 for the grates and basket.

Do you think I should go this route? Or go with the cheap 22" weber grates. I need 3 grates (2 for cooking and 1 for diffuser).

I don't ever see the expanded metal grates rusting because it's all low temperature and they should stay seasoned their entire life I'd think.

How hard is it to bend 9 guage expanded metal for the fire basket? The basket will be about 14" in diameter. Should I use a lighter gauge expanded metal for the charcoal basket?

I was lucky, given the basket...but did some minor work with light expanded steel. Miserable to deal with, really. If going to do over, I would find some expanded steel, long and light, bends (easier) around something right size, and bolt it together...then add pizza pan bottom, least that seems easy, but if you have the patience, review this thread because there is some excellent advice here, lots of it, IMHO.

Finished my first UDS a few days ago (my first smoker of any kind). I've got a 10lb butt in the fridge ready for smoking this weekend. Wish me luck on my maiden voyage.

ETA: Post #11111 in this thread. :)

Smoker_zps306cb49e.jpg

Hey guys,
I'm beginning to look around for a drum to build one of these and had a question.
How important is it that the drum be food grade if it's certified reconditioned?
The drum I'm targeting has no liner and is unpainted, so I'm thinking it'll make my life a little easier not having to sand down, or worry about removing a liner.
A burn off will still be necessary though.
Thanks for the help.

Carl

Hi folks,

I'm a novice to BBQ and looking to build a UDS. I'm about 110 pages into the thread so far :) I have a closed top barrel that held clean 10/40w motor oil that I intend to burn out and clean. I was looking for a lid when this weekend my girlfriend decided we needed a bigger bbq to cater for family that are staying next week so I now have a weber kettle for both bbq and to top the smoker.

I'm finding it hard to get hold of the heavier guage expanded metal lath locally but found this at my local hardware store. It's a cover for a gas boiler outlet and looks to be ideal to make a charcoal basket out of, though it's probably smaller than most of the others in use. It's 11"x11" square and 10.5" high, do you think this would hold enough charcoal for a decent burn or do I need to get something larger?

IMG_2773_zpsf49c5d39.jpg

Progress pics as I get it built.

Also, any suggestions on recipes for the first few goes at this? I've only ever grilled on a bbq, this low and slow is a new exploration.

Finished my first UDS a few days ago (my first smoker of any kind). I've got a 10lb butt in the fridge ready for smoking this weekend. Wish me luck on my maiden voyage.

ETA: Post #11111 in this thread. :)

Smoker_zps306cb49e.jpg
Looks really nice. I'll probably end up getting a Big Poppa kit as well for my build.
Good job. Be sure to share your first cook with us :razz:

Carl

After 3 days, I finally got the intakes drilled. Man stainless is a PITA to drill. I went with 2x3/4" nipples and 1x1" nipple. I'm going Fat man mod version 1. Everything is stainless so far and I'm trying to keep it that way. Just need someone to scrap the SS expanded metal.

null_zps12f3bcf6.jpg

new member UDS

Hey all, just wanted to thank everyone for all the info they share about building these smokers. After reading about 60 pages of this thread, i couldnt sit still anymore and made a phone call to a family member who works for a company that gets rid of drums weekly. The drums held used cooking oil and had the liner, but the weed burner made short work of that. I definitely followed the KISS method and there are no bells and whistles on this one, just a straight up smoker. Once the paint is on (and i figure out how to) I will post some pics. Man are these things fantastic and i cant wait to use the heck out of it. Thanks again

ClayQ do you have any plans or drawings for that table? I really dig it and would like to build one myself. Thanks!!

Sorry no plans. This was a project that grew from a box made of 3/4" construction plywood. I used deck screw fasteners and biscuits with high temp silicone adhesive to join the panels. Old fashion milk paint -lamp black- and linseed oil for a protectant and neumatic wheels from Harbor Freight completed this table. Hope this helps. Be creative and build your table to suit your needs. Custom work is a big part of making your own smoker. Have fun and thanks for the complement.

ClayQ, did you originally cook with direct heat, as most drum users do? If so, are you still doing so with your superinsulated version? (Still not using a heat deflector?) Are your meat drippings getting vaporized on the lower fires you're burning now?

Most of my cooks are indirect but I often go direct over coals to finish the meat. As an example I cook wings indirect then the last 15 or 20 minutes I'll go direct to crisp up the edges that add both flavor and apperance. My setup in the drum has three grid levels above the charcoal. The one closest to the fire is used to hold a large pizza pan that works as my heat deflector and my drip pan. Two more grids above is for cooking/smoking meat. I have grilled on the lowest grid for searing. I burn 2/3 less lump charcoal after insulating, very pleased with that.

Most of my cooks are indirect but I often go direct over coals to finish the meat. As an example I cook wings indirect then the last 15 or 20 minutes I'll go direct to crisp up the edges that add both flavor and apperance. My setup in the drum has three grid levels above the charcoal. The one closest to the fire is used to hold a large pizza pan that works as my heat deflector and my drip pan. Two more grids above is for cooking/smoking meat. I have grilled on the lowest grid for searing. I burn 2/3 less lump charcoal after insulating, very pleased with that.

Thanks

Clay Q.......I like the way you boxed the drum and added insulation. I wonder instead of fiberglass insulation if perlite or vermiculite would also be effective as they can take very high temps and are also readily available at most garden centers.

I thought about vermiculite but decided not to because I did not want loose insulation working it's way out the bottom where I have my air intake. Vermiculite would work out good as an insulator though, just pour it in but my drum box is not air tight. I have inside ventelation at each corner of the box where the joints are-panel edge to panel side. There is an intake at each bottom corner and a exhaust at each corner top. You cannot see them because they are under the table top and box. This is to keep the corners relativly cool by allowing airflow to travel into and out of the plywood box. Fiberglass insulation is next to the drum with aluminum sheet flashing encasing the fiberglass on all sides including top and bottom creating a 3" thick heat barrier. The drum is fastened to the plywood bottom using 1 1/4" ceraimic spacers. So far my table has not caught on fire, he he. It's an amazing cooker and I'm having fun.

Back