First smoke with Pitmaster IQ110

Psmoke

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am new to this form and thought I would post my first post ever. This morning I am trying out my Pitmaster IQ110 that I got for Christmas on my 22.5 WSM. I am cooking a pork shoulder. Just a very basic rub with mustard then rub with Bad Bryon's Butt Rub mixed with a little brown sugar. I'm using 50/50 White oak/ Apple wood and so far so good. I am 4 hours into it and the temp has been rock solid. I've been monitoring it with my Maverick Redi Check and it has stayed with in 1 degree of the set temp. The only complaint I have thus far is air hose length. If it was longer it would be a lot easier to set up. I know there are a lot of stokers etc out there but for the money (which was free, since it was a present) I'm impressed. Hopefully, it last more than a couple of cooks.

Anyone, with that has a IQ110 have any real issues I need to look out for?

no issues whatsoever, I am currently thinking about getting another one, waiting for them to go on sale again.

You are absolutely right about needing a longer hose. I set a 4-foot step ladder next to my WSM and hang the controller on a clamp attached to the 3rd step. The only problem I have had with mine is that it occasionally gets stuck in the "open lid" mode and won't settle down and work correctly until I reset it two or thee times. When it works, the IQUE 110 makes cooking on a WSM pretty much foolproof.

Thanks for all your feedback. The cook went great. There were no issues during the cook with the IQ110. It did take about 15-20 minutes for the IQ to settle back down after I opened the lid, but all and all it worked great.
I will have to look into a longer hose since you’re not supposed to have the IQ hanging from the lid on cooks over 225 and I like to cook my ribs at 275.

take a plastic storage box... cut a 3" hole in it and run a down pipe (pvc) out the side. Run the hose through the pipe to the WSM with the IQ inside the closed box. This will be weather resistant and allow you to place the unit next to the cooker on the floor.

Back