View Single Post
Old 07-01-2012, 04:45 PM   #1
1911Ron
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Ron
Default Things i have learned

Things I have learned about BBQ. In the beginning there was blandness and boring and then I tasted real bbq that a friend brought to work (ribs) I was hooked!
I started to bbq on a Char-Griller w/ sfb, and struggled to get it to work, getting it up to temp and keeping it there was a challenge to say the least frustrating. I joined another bbq/smoking site to do research and to learn more, did some mods to my smoker and still struggled, decided to look into another smoker and decided on an electric, the food was better but still not there.
One day I came across a thread about drum smokers and thought I can do that, but alas I had other things to take up my time and money. While researching more I came across BBQ Breathren and the Mother of all UDS threads, did a lot of reading and after a year or more bought two drums and the hardware and built my first one!
My knowledge increased by leaps and bounds, I took Harry Soo’s Pitmaster class and learned even more! The one thing tho that I learned the most was the K.I.S.S method was the best way to learn how to turn out good bbq. I also learned there is more than one way to do things and not get stuck on only one way to cook, I never figured out why temps in the 270-275 range was good, until it was explained in another thread why it was a safe range, to allow for temp swings with out going to low or high.
I also learned that there is an abundance of knowledgeable people on this site along with some that are full of themselves, but most of all it feels like home here, you can come in here, kick off your shoes, crack open a cold one and relax and enjoy yourself.
So thanks to y’all I am well down the path of better bbq as well as learning patience (no looking and letting it do it’s thing) and having fun doing it!