African Cow Dung Charcoal Grill 15" (First Pr0n!)

This is not your pork!

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
What better way to introduce myself as a new member of the brethren than to show off my existing equipment. :wave:

Surely the majority here will belittle me for this ridiculous piece of "crap", but this grill, which we got as a present ages ago, has indeed been in use as our sole barbecuing device till now, and although I thought I would get rid of it this year when buying a new one, I now consider keeping it in addition to the planned WSM 18.5" to be able to still grill what can't be done in a smoker (the alternative would have been to get a cheap Weber Bar-B-Kettle 18.5" as a sidekick to the WSM, but why not save the buck, and instead get the most out of those 15" with some advice from you guys).

So here it comes, the African Cow Dung Charcoal Grill 15":

c3a6h3ou2maz85pk7.jpg

We pretty much only broiled slices of pork neck every now and then, which is the classic BBQ meat here in our region.

As fuel we always only used lump charcoal, no specific brand, just the cheapest on offer when we are at the supermarket. We once tried with charcoal briquettes (90% charcoal + 10% wheat flour), but it left an unpleasant aftertaste. To save charcoal I always filled the lower third of the grill with stones, with only two adults and two kids there never has been a need for a larger grilling session.

The only accessories we have so far is a simple three-piece tool set, an apron and a mitt.

My wife has always been responsible for prepping the meat with a self-made seasoning, the popular side-dish is a crisped up baguette, and we usually did not use a typical BBQ sauce, but a yellowish slightly sweet sauce called "Special Sauce".

So what's the plan here? At first I have to learn how to

• BBQ the right way
  • select the proper charcoal and wood (for smoking in the WSM)
  • prep the different cuts of meat
  • make my own seasonings / rubs
  • make my own BBQ sauce
That's right, I pretty much have to start at the very beginning, as if never heard of BBQing before.

Any comments and advice are highly appreciated. :hail:​

No need to be ashamed about your equipment it looks awesome and knowing this bunch in a couple of posts from now someone will want to know how much it cost and where they can buy one. :grin: I look forward to hearing more about this "Special Sauce" someone soon will post that they want the recipe.
Welcome to the madhouse, :icon_smile_tongue:
BK

Welcome aboard. There is a lot of knowledge here and everyone is pretty friendly and forthcoming with it (a welcome change of pace from some other forums I've been on). Read through all of the threads and you'll pick up a lot of different techniques and processes. Do what works for you (after all, you have to eat it). I think one of the first things you may hear from people on this board, is to stay away from certain lump charcoal. I use Royal Oak, and it's suppose to be one of the better brands. Again, welcome aboard, and have fun with your journey!

You kidding me.....that's Pharking Genius!:cool:
Can't wait till you have your own smoker!
There are enough Brethren on "Our" side of The Big Pond that maybe can supply you with a smoker if the prices on your parts are too expensive.
Think I've seen people from Austria compete in the World Championships last year in Gronau,Germany...gonna search it up.

*edit*...sorry,it was Switzerland I was thinking of.:oops:

Damn, That grill looks amazing! DON'T get rid of it... It should have some great radiant heat coming off of it. You need to try sort out a lid for it though. That would make it so much more efficient.

Welcome to the site Brother!
Cheers

+1 on keeping that. Looks alone make that a keeper.

Not the sexiest thing in the world looks wise, but definitely not ugly either, built rock solid, has some kind of intangible charm about it, and looks very reliable.

Kinda sounds like my wife. Definitely a keeper.

Last edited:
When I read "cow dung" I was expecting some type of cooker that used dung as the fuel.

If you dont want it how much is shipping to the States? :thumb: I like it! By the have you noticed that about 60% or more of the people here cook out of a 55 gallon steel drum including myself so dont worry about what your cooking on or in.

+2 for keeping it! I think it's very cool. I sincerely doubt that anyone here has anything like it. Knowing this bunch, you'll probably start a trend with the thing. :heh:

Nice grill and welcome! BTW - I thought "Foster's" was Austrailian for "dung."

No, actually "Foster's" is Austrailian for "urine," I think. I don't recall.

Not a thing wrong with that at all!!! I agree, all you need is a lid...or do you not have any air vents on the bottom of it?

Before anyone asks: I have no idea, how much that grill costs and where it can be bought, since it was a present from a former acquaintance a long time ago.

And no, I am not gonna give it away, now that I am a little wiser thanks to this forum.

The mentioned "Special Sauce" is a commercial one, that can be bought here at a local supermarket, so I don't have a recipe to share. It definitely has a nice flavor and texture, and perfectly fits to grilled slices of pork neck, but I really would like to make my own real (tomato based?) BBQ sauce, as seen in several videos. Will have to look for recipes.

The matter of selecting charcoal and which lump charcoal to stay away from is something I'll have to research, since none of the preferred brands are available here. I'll have to stick to local brands, because it's also a questions of price, but it may be difficult, because they all are pretty much no-name brands, and there is usually no info about the content on the packaging except that it contains charcoal.

On the shown photo the grill looks a little like pottery, and may lead to the assumption, that it is rock solid and heavy, however it is very light. I would not want to mod it for a lid in fear of breaking it, but it already has three small air vent holes around the lower part, as can be seen in the picture directly in the front. I don't know how much impact those three holes have, and the air flow can not be regulated.

There are a lot of questions about BBQing, that come to my mind, but I better first read up on that subject because most surely has already been asked and answered. Looks like a time consuming hobby well worth the effort (could get obsessive though).

You can regulate the air flow by sticking foil in the holes and taking however many out as needed to regulate temp. With a lid, I bet you could smoke small cut's like a loin or some thing similar in size. I bet you could find a make shift lid that would work if you really looked. Especially at metal scrap yards. It just has to be domeish (is that a word?). You could drill your own vent holes and plug them with foil to regulate air flow if needed.

Back