a lamb Prosciutto - the end of the story..

GARNAAL

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
quite a while ago I started a "first for me" project..

a Lamb Prosciutto..

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154086

well - after a patient wait - since mid February - here the results..

HPIM5676r.JPG

dry enough to take the knife to it....

HPIM5782%20(1280x964).jpg

and the taste ?
a very intense taste of Lamb - I love it !! definitely a keeper !!

HPIM5786%20(1280x964).jpg
HPIM5787%20(1280x964).jpg

HPIM5783%20(1280x964).jpg

Wow, that looks great. I too love the taste of lamb. That has to explode with flavor.

^^^^^^
Love lamb as well.

That looks awesome! Thanks for posting.

I missed the thread starting this project. Thanks for sharing, sounds like something I might have to try as well.

Nice job.

That looks awesome. Must of been hell waiting for a taste.

yes - specially since it was the first time I tried this..
luckily I make cured /air dried stuff (Sausages, Bresaola, Lonzino, Prosciutto, Carne Salata etc. ) quite often so there is always something to munch on.. :laugh:

Last edited:
It looks terrific. Was it flavoursome & moist???
John

yes very tasty !! and as usual with airdried meats - the first couple of slices are a bit drier and darker - but once you get in further, as you can see on the plated slices, the meat is nice, soft and moist.:icon_smile_tongue:

Last edited:
That looks awesome. Some cheese and wine and you'll have the perfect meal.

I like your thinkin'

now I'm thinking a plate with :
mixed greens
sliced Lamb Prosciutto
drizzle of mixed olive oil & balsamic vinegar
freshly cracked black pepper
shaved Parmesan cheese
some Olives Nicoise
and ... a nice cold lightly bubbly Vinho Verde to complete lunch ?:yo:

Last edited:
I like your thinkin'

now I'm thinking a plate with :
mixed greens
sliced Lamb Prosciutto
drizzle of mixed olive oil & balsamic vinegar
freshly cracked black pepper
shaved Parmesan cheese
some Olives Nicoise
and ... a nice cold lightly bubbly Vinho Verde to complete lunch ?:yo:

I like your style! May I suggest a little arugula tossed in some EVOO and lemon juice for the greens. A little peppery bite would probably set that off.

I'm speechless, that looks awesome. What do you dry your meats in?

I use a small 2.7 Cu ft. Black and Decker Fridge from Walmart - placed in our food pantry - which at the high range of the temp setting (= minimum #1 cooling setting) runs at 55-60F, which is what I normally use to dry meats and sausages.
I modified the racks a bit to enable placement of the meats and sausages - for drying sausages I custom sized some wooden dowels to fit in between the rails on the inside wall of the fridge..
(also drilled a hole in the door, thru which I inserted an instant meat thermometer to see temp without opening the door.)

(you basically can use any old fridge and do that - if the built in thermostat does not allow you to run at ~ 55 to 60 F - install a baseboard electric heat, line voltage switching thermometer in the fridge to regulate the temp and connect the power cord of the fridge to the switched output of that..)
if you really want to get fancy you can also install a small 120V fan in there to aid in air circulation..)

I use an old Hygrometer from one of my old cigar humidifiers , which I hung in the fridge (don't smoke anymore - cigars that is.... meats is another question :mrgreen: ) to watch RH% - luckily I do not need anything to regulate it here in Houston- been at it for some years now - and nomally it runs at 70 RH when I start a batch and see it run down to ~ 60 after a while when stuff dries out.. (if need be, place a container with some water in the fridge to raise RH% or get hold of a small dehumidifier when it gets too high..) - they sell combined Hygrometer/thermometer units also..)

Back