Real simple gig, brisket for 50-75, need confirmation on #s please.

walrus79

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
So, my second small cooking/catering gig is coming up and again need some confirmation or additional feedback on estimates. Customer simply wants sliced (flat and point meat) and sauced brisket for 50-75 guests for a reception. I'm thinking I'll need about 50lbs precooked to yield 30lbs cooked meat. This will give me about right between 1/3 and 1/2 lb per serving (factoring for 75 servings). This will be pretty much the only protein there with several sides I'm told.

Do these #s seem accurate? I'm wondering if my pre to cooked weight yield is too low at 40% loss...should I make that 50% and start with 60lbs?

Thanks brethren for the any and all feedback.

I always cook a little more than the math tells me, especially if people are not used to good Q and/or it is the only protein. Brisket reheats well for whomever is paying you. My parents taught me to never run out of food for those you are serving. My 2 cents. 40% loss is a reasonable average. Assuming 1/3 of a pound for brisket is where I think there may be an issue.

I would say add 10% to your max estimate, you certainly don't want to under deliver at a reception. And if you make an extra brisket above what you are thinking now, charge accordingly and you have nothing to lose.

That being said, I'm not a caterer so there are better qualified guys to answer that.

Back