View Single Post
Old 06-05-2008, 08:43 PM   #1138
SmokinCoyote
On the road to being a farker

Another coal box question. I have read probably every post about UDS but am curious to know if my coal box might be too big. I was trying to figure out what I wanted to build a coal box out of without spending too much $$$ so I went to a local scrap metal yard to get some stuff and noticed a 30 gal drum in a scrap pile. I asked what they would sell it for and he said $4.00. I couldn't pass that up. I cut the bottom off for an ash pan and 9 inches off the top for the box. It is 18" diameter and 9" deep. It seems that the common size is 15 to 16 inches. Has anyone who built a big basket wished they would have made it smaller for some reason?

My thinking is I can make a smaller ring for shorter cooks and for long cooks I will have the capacity I need.

It ain't real Q until that precise moment, while watching the sunrise through a wisp of sweet smelling blue smoke, that a tough brisket finally surrenders itself to the gentle heat of an all wood fire and becomes a tender, juicy, smokey masterpiece.
Wiley "SmokinCoyote" Mixon
Klose 20 X 60 mobile
UDS
WSM
Red Thermapen

SmokinCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote