• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

1st Time Cater

ajajbrent

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I have done a couple of cook outs for Charity with the Church or local little league teams, but this is the first time I have been asked by a business to do a cook for $$$. A local company would like our BBQ team to do a BBq Lunch including Pork Sandwiches, Beans, Slaw, Cookie, and a drink for 300 people. We have the costs down but I am worried about the legality of this venture. We are not licensed caterers. We are located in Atlanta Ga. Is there a temp insurance service I can get to cover me during this cook? Is there a food license I need? What are the steps I need to do to cater this event?

Your first contact should be your local Health Dept. They will tell you what you need to be "legal". There are "single event" insurance policies from some companies and a search on the internets will produce them. Once you obtain these items you can then concentrate on the operational aspect.

Here -insurance companies will not sell you insurance if everything else is not in order

serv safe certificate for food handlers
business license
commissary
Federal Empoyee ID number
Workers Comp Insurance
Applicable State Sales Tax ID

I have heard rumors of folks adding a "one day event" policy on to their Homeowners policy----I am not familiar with this procedure

There is a loophole.

If you are cooking for a company, that is not open to the public, and you are not serving anyone but the employees, you are allowed to cook as a private party. You do not NEED any insurance or tax information. However, can you and should you are different issues.

ServSafe is always advisable, however, again, you do not NEED it to do this job. It will protect you should something go wrong. Single event insurance will run around $150 for the event.

There is a loophole.

If you are cooking for a company, that is not open to the public, and you are not serving anyone but the employees, you are allowed to cook as a private party. You do not NEED any insurance or tax information. However, can you and should you are different issues.

ServSafe is always advisable, however, again, you do not NEED it to do this job. It will protect you should something go wrong. Single event insurance will run around $150 for the event.

How about any health department permits?

I have been thinking about jumping into catering in the future so sometimes I read this forum and I have no experience but let me tell you one thing I have learned in life is don't ever cut corners you will pay for it if you do just my 2 cents. No sense taking risks you don't have to. Take the above advice and get in contact with the local health dept. I am sure if you explain the situation and what you want to do they can guide you. If you don't want to do that then thank the business for their inquiry and maybe refer them to a good bbq caterer if you know one that can handle the event and do it legally. It will ruin your reputation if you want to do this in the future and you get shut down. No one will hire a caterer that has been shut down. I know I would never hire a caterer that was shut down. My opinion so do with it what you will.

I am not familiar with other States but in KS any time you cook/serve food, for a group, you are governed by the State of KS, and possibly local municipality, HD regs. It all depends on the amount of risk a person chooses to take. I am not saying don't do it but please do due diligence to discover the amount of personal assets exposure you are risking.

Cooking and holding your hot food hot and the cold food cold is key

Here -insurance companies will not sell you insurance if everything else is not in order

serv safe certificate for food handlers
business license
commissary
Federal Empoyee ID number
Workers Comp Insurance
Applicable State Sales Tax ID

I have heard rumors of folks adding a "one day event" policy on to their Homeowners policy----I am not familiar with this procedure

Yeah, we did this when we did a trade show in Dallas, TX last year. We have our general liability for our product but this particular show we were required to have additional insurance that was of that similar to a caterer. So we got online and got a three day policy ("event policy") that covered us.

This is good info , I have people ask me from time to time as i cook a couple outings a year for a close friends company parties ( lo-key 70 to 100 people) . and have been wondering what it would take to do events other than that .... thank you for info !!

Back