• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
Well did my burn out last weekend, just about finished with the wire brush cleaning. About ready to drill holes for the racks. What would my BBQ brothers recommend for the spacing? I want three racks and I have a flat top. I am thinking 7" from the top then 5" below the first rack for the second. Would that leave me enough room for another rack and if so how much lowwer below the 2nd rack? Is that about the distances needed for the racks?

Finally my 30gal. UDS done with pics(pic heavy)

Want to thank everyone for their help, tips and ideas and also to CCWR for his diffuser help and a big thanks to Jbtech for mailing me a step bit across the country so I could make my 1in.air intake holes.

So I started with a 30gal. drum and used the lid and grill and charcoal grill from a Weber Jumbo Joe I got on sale at Walmart. The lid did not fit my drum, but when I flipped the drum over it fit perfect. So after attacking the bottom of the drum with my sawzall I got the bottom out and now the lid fits perfect and the bottom is now the top of my smoker.

So using the charcoal grill from the Weber and some scrap expanded metal from work I welded up my basket.
smoker10_zpse43b6a32.jpg

I did inside the drum a bit different from what I have seen here, I welded nuts to the inside to screw my bolts in to hold my grills.
IMG_00000138_zps6ea57fb7.jpg

More scrap metal I found at work that I bent into a tray to hold my Maverick and attached it to a magnet to stick to the drum. Not shown, but I also put some high dense foam in the tray to protect my Maverick and keep it from moving.
smoker9_zps6abb7c61.jpg

Not sure what they were, but I found some brass thingy's to run my probes through the drum, work perfect after some grinding.
adapterinstalled_zpsc089f2f1.jpg

Found a Betty Crocker pizza pan at the dollar store and made bigger holes using CCWR hole pattern for my heat deflector.
smoker11_zpse3625338.jpg

Welded an extension rod from the ball valve to raise the handle, and bent up some metal to make handles and welded them on and got her put together and painted.
smoker5_zps7633e46e.jpg

Made my first Jimmy Dean fatty with my youngest daughter, she had fun making the weave. Stuffing is onion, mushrooms, yellow and orange peppers and cheese. Also threw on a few venison sausages.
smoker4_zps278678c0.jpg

smoker3_zps1456b2f2.jpg

smoker2_zpsc3128099.jpg

smoker1_zpsfc614d81.jpg

And my first spatchcook chicken this morning using Moose's awesome rub recipe.
IMG_00000233_zpsd0971947.jpg

Awesome, great job, my daughter has that clay, looks like she has a job to do makin me a pig head LOL

Do you have to wire brush the inside if it doesent have a liner or can you just burn it, spray it out and proceed?

Do you have to wire brush the inside if it doesent have a liner or can you just burn it, spray it out and proceed?

If you can't burn it out then try an angle grinder with a wire wheel. WEAR SAFETY GLASSES!! Thanks for the compliment Highcal. You smoker looks good and the food looks awesome! I did end up putting twice as many 1/2 holes in my diffuser since I showed my pic here and it still works awesome and I get more bark.

Hi all. What do you guys do to clean out the grease at the bottom of your UD'S. I usually spill loose ash in the bottom and it absorbs the grease then I wipe it up?? Any suggestions

Hi all. What do you guys do to clean out the grease at the bottom of your UD'S. I usually spill loose ash in the bottom and it absorbs the grease then I wipe it up?? Any suggestions

I've hit it with a power washer but very messy. I just let the fire rage for a bit after I pull my food off, burns a lot of the grease out. I just bought a BBQ Guru computer for my drum and i noticed there has been a lot more grease on the bottom than previous years but I might just be crazy. I also added a pizza pan to the bottom of the basket to catch the ash so that may be why I see more grease too. Good question I'd like to see what others are doing to clean there drums out.

check out Cragslist. there our several people in my town who sell thru them. usually looking at about $300

Well, I think this going down as a failure. As I said, the drum was used to hold apple juice concentrate. Whatever they used to coat the inside of the drum is putting off a funky smell.

Not gonna que in that.

Even when they're "food grade" they usually have some sort of a liner coating on the inside. You either have to burn/sand it off first, which is a dirty, long process, or do what I did,, had it sand blasted!

Keep at it,, you'll be glad you did!

Role

Back