anyone use claws or pork puller

If you like shredded pork with the fat remnants still in it, it does this great. Me, I find the results akin to ruining good pulled pork. The bear claw can be effective, but you'd want to remove the fat first, and to me tha's more time than just pulling it by hand.

I put on a pair of nitrile gloves and pull it by hand; I like to leave the pieces roughly the size of my thumb, give or take, so that they retain the moisture and flavors much better while I remove ALL of the fatty tissue that wasnt cooked off...

FYI: when I cook, I usually cook 6 - 12 9# butts...

I'm with Lake Dog, I use a mair of nitrile gloves and do it by hand, I can feel the fat and discard and I get the size and texture I want to serve my customers. I cook and pull 3-5 case a week

Clint

We initially used "claws", to save our hands from the heat, until we discovered the Nitrile gloves. For us the gloves offer greater dexterity and "feel" for the texture of the meat. We also found that the "claws" actually made our hands sore. YMMV

Insulated gloves work the best IMO. Get all the inedible stuff out and better feel for texture. Dont take long at all.

All by hand!!! I have claws but I like to make sure I get all the unwanted stuff out. I serve what I wouldn't want to find in my pulled pork sandwich.

I used to use "bear claws" but I found a similar item made with stainless tines. When the pork bone wiggles, I pull the bone out, cut the remains of the fat cap off, pan and tent to rest in the cambro. When ready to serve I use the stainless claws to break up into large clumps, and pull the larger pieces by hand to remove any undesirable items.

I prefer to serve my pulled pork without any sauce, so I serve long strands of pork in good sized pieces. The larger pieces retain more moisture than smaller shreds and are more flavorful in my opinion.

I love the Roman Pork Puller. After using it I sift through the meat to get rid of some of the fat pieces left.

Back