Ruger410

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Ibe had both probes in crushed ice and water and this is what I'm getting

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 220
One probe is bad or off - switch ports and see if temps switch.

One probe is bad or off - switch ports and see if temps switch.

I just did the meat probe drops down to 34-36 when I plug it into the grate port. But when I plug it into the food port I can't get under 41.

Is the cup filled with ice then topped off with water, your not touching the sides with probe, stirring?

I was touching ice right in the middle of the cup floating In Water . I think the meat side port is bad or something

Yeah, I would try boiling and even some in between temps for comparison.

Could be a bad port, try leaving them plugged in and in the water for 5 minutes. Sometimes there is a response delay.

Then do the same in boiling water.

I had a bad bbq probe, read good too 246 then it stopped. Would not go over 246.

Could be a bad port, try leaving them plugged in and in the water for 5 minutes. Sometimes there is a response delay.

Then do the same in boiling water.

I left both in the ice water for a while same thing I will try boiling water today. I would think both probes should at least be within a degree or 2

I've been fooling with this as I calibrate my Maverick temperature probes so I can take readings using an Arduino. I haven't gotten mine to read below 34°F using ice cubes in an ice water bath. An insulated cup might help. I was using a pyrex sauce pan. Crushed ice would also help, but my attempts at such using a meat tenderizer on a cutting board did not go well. :roll: Use as much ice as possible with just enough water to cover. Stir vigorously.

If you have an ET-732 you can swap probes. Can't do that with the ET-73 as the probes are different.

Switch ports or try boiling water.
that should get you pretty close to 212 degrees depending on elevation.

I for one am shocked to learn that a Maverick is is POS. :icon_smile_tongue:

hold your flames ...

Ibe had both probes in crushed ice and water and this is what I'm getting
Your probe is no good
45 deg in ice water is no good
34 deg in ice water is close
Get a new probe and keep it out of water on the probe end

I am goin to try boiling water . It seems that the food side port is bad. Now I'm kind of in a bad situation since I am supposed to be doin a pork butt for the Super Bowl party and my meat probe/port is screwed up

I am goin to try boiling water . It seems that the food side port is bad. Now I'm kind of in a bad situation since I am supposed to be doin a pork butt for the Super Bowl party and my meat probe/port is screwed up

Its a good thing bbq isn't cooked to temp. Just use the probe to check for tenderness. If that scares you buy a $10 big box store digital therm.

Back