True Story...

JD McGee

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
This was too funny NOT to share. I woke up this morning to a cold rainy nasty ol' day. So...naturally I wanted to do smoke something.:p What can I do on a cold nasty day? Hey...I'll smoke some cheese. Broke out the WSM...4 briqs of Rancher, a good chunk of hickory, easy peasy right? WRONG...I couldn't light the 4 freakin' charcoal briquettes.:oops: I put them in the chimney with a chit load of newspaper...fired it up and had ashes blowin' all over hec and half of Georgia. Said fark it...I'm goin' to the hardware store for a propane torch. Got to the local Ace and they wanted 25.00 for a cheapo.:mad: I couldn't do it. Stormed back in to the house...popped a brew...and now I'm through for the day. My wife took pity on me and is bakin' a cake to smooth my feathers.:biggrin:

I'm doing a brisket point tomorrow so I'll just steal 4 briqs from it and put the cheese in the other WSM. It's amazing how easy it is to fire up a whole chimney with a wad of paper...but I couldn't do 4. :lol::lol::lol: I forsee a weed burner in my very near future!

I know how you feel. Some days you just feel doomed enough that drinking is the only thing you can do right.

Weed burners are great for that situation. I would highly recommend one. Good luck with the brisket and cheese tomorrow

Feel free to use my Little Chief, I'll show you how to plug it in!

just got my first weed burner- got it from harbor freight- very cool toy- the wife just stands there and shakes her head

Try a handheld propane torch, works great for small jobs.

I quit using newspaper in my chimney, switched to those little white square fire starters by Weber, one lights a full chimney with no problem.

Scott

I had the same problem trying to light 4 briquettes when i smoked cheese. I finally put in a layer of briquettes that covered the bottom of the chimney. Then they lit. I just dropped the extras in the firebox of my Good One and used them to warm my hands.

Or you can do the Boyscout thing. Take dryer lint, add to empty paper egg carton, add melted wax. Let dry. TA-DA.....firestarters. Use them all the time in my wood burning stove at home.:biggrin::biggrin:

All you needed to say was "I fixed it with beer" and we would all know it was one of those days. Would have been a terrible day if you hadn't thought ahead and stocked up! Actually for future reference when you get the weed burner it's good to start out with a few beers :twisted:.

Or you can do the Boyscout thing. Take dryer lint, add to empty paper egg carton, add melted wax. Let dry. TA-DA.....firestarters. Use them all the time in my wood burning stove at home.:biggrin::biggrin:

That's a cool trick...only I don't think I want my coals infused with "Downy"...:twisted:

I had the same problem trying to light 4 briquettes when i smoked cheese. I finally put in a layer of briquettes that covered the bottom of the chimney. Then they lit. I just dropped the extras in the firebox of my Good One and used them to warm my hands.

You should have seen me trying to balance the 4 briqs on top of the cone in the chimney...:tongue:

Turn the chimney upside down!

Smart arse!!!...part deux...:lol::lol::lol: That's actually a very good idea! Thanks partner. Oh by the way...the cheese came out great. I'll bring you some on Friday. Pics to follow...

Here you go..a little cheese pron...:p

Cheddar and Mozarella...
IMG_3456.jpg

4 briqs of Rancher...one hunk of hickory...
IMG_3460.jpg

On the WSM...upside down pizza pan...
IMG_3461.jpg

Average cold smoke temp...never above 70...
IMG_3464.jpg

Twin WSM's...cheese on the left...brisket on the right...
IMG_3462.jpg

Appetizer...
IMG_3465.jpg

Last edited:
Back