Wood Flavor

Might as well ask everyones opinion on politics!
I guess the wood depends on the food. Beef would be one thing, pork another and poultry yet another.
I like to mix woods with poultry - hickory and apple or plum
Beef is usually hickory and pecan
Brisket is pecan
fish is alder, hickory or whatever strikes me at the time.

Yeah - sorry! I never did much pork until recently. It was always bricket and chicken, with ocassional ribs. I've started doing pulled pork, loins, and bone in loins in the past few months. I use mostly hickory for this.

Sugar maple across the board. then apple

I think it is pretty much a regional thing.

Try the different kinds of wood that are available to you and pick the one's you like and eliminate the rest. I use apple/cherry for pork, chicken and some rib recipes and hickory for beef but that just me.

Up until this weekend I was a die hard hickory/oak/maple fan. I threw some apple/cherry in the UDS and I have to say - You could really taste it. It was different. I like the harder hickory taste but I'm experimenting now!

I swear by red oak and hickory on pork and beef. Chicken I like apple, cherry, pecan. I don't like mesquite, but that's just MHO

Hickory around here but, I do have a back yard full of the stuff:wink:

Had to do a taste test through the Culinary Institute of Smoke Cooking where I had small pans of water and had to use different types of smoking woods and then taste the water and note my findings. All tasted like crap, but the point was that each gave their own flavor to the mix and they were very different. I found that you can very easily over smoke with Misquite as well as Hickory causing a bitter flavor unless tempered with a milder wood such as Oak. We use Cherry Wood for Brisket and Butts and Apple Wood for Ribs and Chicken at comps.

Bottom line is " If it works for you----Use it "

Spice

Cherry and Red Oak (but only the Red Oak from rbinms33)

Mullberry smells like cotton candy when heated.

I recently got some sugar maple, and it's quickly becoming my "go to wood" (for the moment) Its super mellow and probably hard to over smoke. I like mixing the wood up and experimenting.
On Hand: Cherry, Sug Maple, Hickory and some mesquite (for grilling only:eek:)
Experiment.

What wood gives the best flavor? Please explain.
Burning wood. Because the smoke attaches itself to the food being cooked.
I really like the flavor I get from birch. It's lighter than pecan and very unique.

Well I would say Free wood tastes best
Get the Grape this weekend

I like hickory, apple and cherry the best for pretty much everything I cook. I was real fond of Pecan for a while and used it on pretty much everything but now my new passion in cherry which I use with pretty much everything. I like to change it up and play with different flavor combo's so see what I like best.

Alder is nice for chicken and pork, but way too light for beef.
I also like the taste of cherry with chicken, and hamburgers too.
Hickory and mesquite, with a little oak thrown in, makes me warm and fuzzy when 'quing beef.:razz:
Wood, wood, wood. A guy can never have too many kinds of wood on hand.
Hey, wait a minute... this could be one of those benefits of being a cabinetmaker. :mrgreen:

In the pellet cooker, I'm fond of a pecan/cherry blend. I'm thinking of using hickory instead of the pecan to get a litte more smoke taste to the product. Also, just got some peach pellets to play with. They seem to growing in popularity.
In the Ole Hickory, I use a oak and sassafras combo. Getting rave reviews from customers. However, I just got a huge amount of pecan so I plan on a combo with the sassafras.

Also, I find black walnut and mesquite used in great moderation is a good addition to smoke for beef.

Back