• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Who cut the cheese? (pron)

aawa

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Temperatures have dropped so to a point I can smoke some cheese without having to worry about temps. Not to mention I had a drawer full of cheese i bought at Kroger a couple weeks back.

1.5lbs colby, 1.5lbs jack, 1.5lbs sharp cheddar, 1.5lbs colby jack, 3.5lbs mozzerella, 2lbs swiss, 2lbs polly o string mozerella, 1lb meunster.
9VyCEjf.jpg

Unwrapped and ready to go.
8uDJRJg.jpg

Setup the A-Maze-N smoker with some hickory dust.
zRbB6OH.jpg

Both ends lit and ready to go. This should give me 3 hours of burn time.
nnPVC0b.jpg

Witness the power of a fully operational Performer. All cheese on 2 racks.
BU37vKE.jpg

3 hours from now, going to pull it off and vacuum seal it for a long rest in the fridge.

Very nice. How long do you have it rest in the fridge after smoking when you say long? I smoked last time, vacuum packed but I think the rest time was short.

Very nice. How long do you have it rest in the fridge after smoking when you say long? I smoked last time, vacuum packed but I think the rest time was short.

I think it gets to a good maturity point after 4 weeks, but even longer is better. I just opened a package of gouda that I smoked nearly a year ago and it's phenomenal.

I think it gets to a good maturity point after 4 weeks, but even longer is better. I just opened a package of gouda that I smoked nearly a year ago and it's phenomenal.

Thanks John,

I figured I opened up way too early at two weeks.

Good work! I need to smoke cheese in larger batches like that. One or two blocks never last long

The minimum i go is 2 weeks, but I usually go 4-8 weeks.

Bought a new grate just for the cheese, eh? :-D

I actually got the Weber Gourmet Grate system. My other 2 grates need to be cleaned so opened the Gourmet grate system and use it.

I like mine between 4-8 weeks. Although I just opened up my last block of colby which was done in March of this year and it is ridiculously good.

Awesome! - Dos the top grate sit on the handles of the bottom grate?

It is getting to be that time of year. I need to smoke up some cheese for the holidays.

CD

Looking real good and I have to do some cheese smoking as well.

You all just made me decide to open some up i had mellowing for a few months...:biggrin1:

Awesome! - Dos the top grate sit on the handles of the bottom grate?

Yeah I had the grates so that the top one was sitting on the handle of the bottom one. This gave me just barely enough clearance over the cheese.

Oh remember if you're going to do cheese then do butter at the same time!

Dang I should of done that, but didn't even think about it. Next time!

Cheese is done
juDfMJT.jpg

QesNhHj.jpg

o0Zbb6m.jpg

And vacuum sealed!
FSbiwDH.jpg

Time to let it age in the fridge. I sliced a little bit off the cheddar to verify it was cheddar and not colby so I could label them correctly. It definitely tastes better aged than fresh out of the smoke.

Looks great! - Yes aged is the best. If you smoke up a bunch like you did, it is easier to keep it around until aged.

Just opened up a smoked pepper jack from 2011 today - melting inside a fatty right now!

Back