Big meats - wood question

Uncle JJ

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
For those who compete on one big offset, I have a question. If both the butts and the brisket are on the smoker together, they're getting the same wood/smoke. But some, including me, like to use different wood for pork and for beef. (Pork gets Cherry, beef gets Oak/Pecan)

Do you guys bring a separate cooker to get around this, or do you settle on wood that works ok for both?

I don't have a stick burner, but same situation and you settle what is good on both.

My suggestion is to use the wood that are plentiful in your area... If I ccould get pecan, I would. But chickory and oak and fruit trees are the real choices for me..

Hickory but like Scottie said, I too would use pecan if easily available.

Thanks - I can always get pecan here. I like to use cherry for pork - would that bring a strange taste to the beef if I mixed it with pecan?

i might be off, but as long as i get the "right" smoke, i dont care what wood i use. I use peach and pecan on all my meats lately, bc i caught the peach wood bug lol. and beef likes peach too. None of the meats enjoy crap white smoke though. makes them not happy pieces of meat. they dont like being bitter =)

I have a large off-set. Last year, I used cherry for all my comps and it worked fine, this year I used pecan also had good results. Next year, might do a mix of the two and see what happens. I like the flavor of pecan, but I worry about it being a tad too strong, but I like the sweeter smoke of cherry, so I like I said, thinking about using both.

Use Hickory in the stick burner for ribs,butts and brisket . Use the WSM with apple wood for chicken.

I use Hickory for all 4 categories. I've had luck with Pecan also, but Hickory is my wood of choice. (Baxter's Original Hickory to be exact! )

Hickory and cherry is what I use for all my meats. I have tried it all in my stick burner and this is the combo I like the best.

We start our briskets first using a pecan/cherry blend, when the butts go on we toss a little hickory into the mix.

I love using Oak for both. I wrap the pork a lot earlier than I do the brisket so that the pork won't be over smoked with a string smoke flavor. The brisket can handle it. I'm also in Texas where post oak is plentiful.

We use a pecan and cherry mix for both big meats (and are off-set cookers).

Being new to this, can you really taste a difference between woods??

Back