Thinking I'm gonna like my CL score...

I like mine. The only drawback is that the heat takes the seasoning off the body right away and then it starts to rust. I just ran mine through the self cleaning cycle in the oven yesterday to remove any last remaining traces of the factory seasoning and I plan to apply some 2000°F Rustoleum starting today. If it truly is good for that temp, it should even be OK in the fire box.

The other thing I don't like about it is the propensity to tip forward when lifted by the bail. I want to counterweight it with something on the bottom towards the rear to counteract that. I wish they would have put the bail lugs at the balance point rather than the center of the fire box.

Thanks for the info! Hoping I don't experience a big problem with rust. Unless I screw up (and that never happens :icon_blush:), this thing will never see a drop of outside moisture.

But I'm not sure that painting the inside of it is such a good idea. Maybe it won't matter as much because its not a closed cooker?
My concern as well. But 2000°F should not be exceeded in a charcoal cooker. And from the label:

Once dry, High Heat must be further cured to increase durability.

Allow paint to dry 1-2 hours before proceeding to next steps below. Follow directions accordingly. Items may emit smoke and harmless odor at first.
Items Off of Vehicle: Bake at 250°F (121°C) for 30 minutes then allow 30 minutes to cool. Bake at 400°F (204°C) for 30 minutes then allow 30 minutes to cool. Bake at 600˚F (315˚C) for 30 minutes then allow 30 minutes to cool. Caution: Be sure not to exceed the heat tolerance of the least heat tolerant part.

Needless to say I'll be baking when SWMBO is not home. :twisted: Might have to do the last stage on my propane grill.

Paint is http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=371

I have 3 lodge pans all great. Get anything by Lodge you will not be disappointed.

This is my 1st Lodge experience... and so far, so good!! What next?? Pans, griddle,??
I also particularly like their camp Dutch ovens. They have a ridge around the lid so that charcoals don't fall into your food when you're checking stuff (assuming you cook with a few coals on the lid.)

Dutch oven cookery is a whole 'nother thing and well worth looking into.

This is my 1st Lodge experience... and so far, so good!! What next?? Pans, griddle,??
I'd go with a Dutch Oven...I really like the Lodge DO's. Wally World has a Lodge Combo Cooker (same one Cowgirl uses regularly) that I've been eying for about $38...for skillets, I'd see if you can find some older Griswold or Wagner pieces. I have luck finding them out at Denio's for $5-$20 depending on size. You will have to look hard, but they are there, especially in the summer time when all of the yard sale resellers rent the daily spaces.

Good luck!

Back